Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Television

Howard Kurtz Takes Issue With USA Today Article

“No matter who had been president last year, the death toll from COVID-19 would have been high. You can argue whether it’ll be higher or lower and that sort of thing,” said Kurtz.

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

Fox News commentator Howard Kurtz ripped an opinion piece in the USA Today that called for coronavirus victims to be buried at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort. Kurtz said the piece is an insult to families who have lost loved ones.

“No matter who had been president last year, the death toll from COVID-19 would have been high. You can argue whether it’ll be higher or lower and that sort of thing,” said Kurtz. “This piece is offensive on about 12 different levels.”

The author of the piece, Jason Sattler, has made it his business to write anti-Trump pieces for the last several months. Sattler resides in Michigan and sits on the USA Today’s Board of Contributors.

“I mean, this piece is offensive on about 12 different levels, for Jason Sattler to argue that we should go bury all the victims of COVID-19 at Mar-A-Lago,” the Fox News media analyst told “America’s Newsroom.”

As of Wednesday morning, the novel coronavirus has infected more than 112,184,238 people across 192 countries and territories, resulting in at least 2,487,155 deaths. In the U.S., all 50 states plus the District of Columbia have reported confirmed cases of COVID-19, tallying more than 28,261,619 illnesses and at least 502,681 deaths.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Television

Dr. Jennifer Ashton Leaving ABC News to Launch New Company

Dr. Jennifer Ashton said that she received the support of ABC News President Kim Godwin and Networks Division leader Debra OConnell.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Dr. Jennifer Ashton
(Photo: Heidi Gutman | ABC)

ABC News is losing its Chief Medical Correspondent and co-host of GMA3, Dr. Jennifer Ashton.

When her contract expires in June, Ashton will leave the network to launch a new women’s wellness company, Ajenda, where she will serve as the CEO.

“Sometimes an important message needs the right messenger, and I feel like there is no more critical time in this country for women’s health, and for weight management,” Ashton told The Hollywood Reporter. “We’re facing an obesity epidemic, and menopause and perimenopause and women’s health is literally in a spotlight like never before. And I want to be the messenger for those messages.

“And so I’m excited about finally having the opportunity to just devote 100 percent of my time and effort into that, and using the skills that I’ve learned from being at the number one network for 13 years, I think are going to be really vital in that.”

Dr. Jennifer Ashton added that she received the support of ABC News President Kim Godwin and Networks Division leader Debra OConnell.

“They both said to me, ‘Is there anything we can do to change your mind?’ And when I said there really isn’t, because I really feel strongly about doing this, they basically said you know, ‘we’re going to be behind you.’ And I think that’s really unusual in this business in this day,” she said.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

CNN CEO Mark Thompson: We Have ‘Plenty of Things to Fix’

“The rate at which people have been and probably will continue to cut the cord and not look at cable TV at all is a far, far greater strategic threat than the finer points of competition between individual cable channels.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Mark Thompson and the CNN logo
(Photo: Ståle Grut)

To say Mark Thompson’s time at CNN has been anything but eventful would be an understatement. He has presided over several interesting moments and endeavors and admits there are still things to work on.

In a conversation with the Financial Times, Thompson said “There are plenty of things we have to fix at CNN,” as the network sits in third place behind competitors Fox News and MSNBC.

Mark Thompson was tabbed by Warner Bros. Discovery to lead the network forward after resurrecting The New York Times with a digital focus, something he hopes to implement at CNN.

“The idea that there might be digital subscription is a serious possibility,” Thompson said of CNN’s potential future, adding “I think it’s quite likely that we’ll end up there.”

While many view the success of Fox News, MSNBC, and even the up-start Newsmax as challengers for CNN, Mark Thompson pointed to a different challenge as the biggest threat to the survival and success of the network.

“Do we want to get more competitive in cable TV and by strengthening our schedules? Yes, we do,” he said. “But the rate at which people have been and probably will continue to cut the cord and not look at cable TV at all is a far, far greater strategic threat than the finer points of competition between individual cable channels.”

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

CNBC Celebrates 35th Anniversary

What started as a U.S. operation has grown to several different divisions as CNBC holds branches in both Europe and Asia, and also has other international affiliates.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of the CNBC logo

On April 17th, 1989, the Consumer News and Business Channel signed on the air. Today, CNBC is marking its 35th anniversary.

The business news channel is celebrating its long cable news history today. A montage of highlights from the “biggest moments” was published in a video to X.

The outlet’s roots trace back to the Satellite Program Network which debuted in 1989, before later changing its name to Tempo Television. NBC decided to launch the business venture in 1989 in a 50/50 partnership alongside Cablevision with a headquarters located in Fort Lee, New Jersey.

After struggling to get carriage throughout the country, the network purchased the Financial News Network, which had more than double the reach of CNBC in 1991 after FNN filed for Bankruptcy.

At the time of the purchase, CNBC hired roughly 60 of the 300 FNN employees, including Joe Kernen, who still helms the channel’s popular Squawk Box morning show.

What started as a U.S. operation has grown to several different divisions as CNBC holds branches in both Europe and Asia, and also has other international affiliates.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.