Sonya Heitshusen was once one of the most prominent news anchors in Iowa.
ABC News recently reported that she has filed a lawsuit against her former employer, Nexstar Media Group, Inc, who owns and operates WHO-TV in Des Moines.
Her claim is “a widespread practice of removing older, female staffers from the air because of their looks.”
Heitshusen spoke with the Associated Press:
“Where are all the women who are in TV broadcasting over 50? You don’t see women on TV with gray hair and wrinkles.
“It has to change. Women are relevant after the age of 50. They have a lot of great ideas. They are hard workers and can make a difference.”
Nexstar Media Group, Inc owns 199 stations nationwide.
ABC News further reported that the company claims that letting Heitshusen go was part of a workforce reduction, however, this is not the first lawsuit of its kind filed against them.
She says in the report that she was blindsided by her firing in April of 2020 when the company told her there was a contract clause allowing her to be let go as part of a “business decision.” Heitshusen was offered a low paying digital role, but nothing on-air, per ABC.
Tony Cartagena is a former contributor to Barrett News Media. He has previously served as a Digital Content Manager for Audacy Minneapolis, a reporter and producer for ESPN Cleveland, Director of Content for ESPN Madison, and a producer for ‘Wilde & Tausch’. You can reach him on Twitter @TonyCartagena or by email at [email protected].
Tucker Carlson Quietly Steps Down from Board of The Daily Caller
“His board term was up and he’s busy with his new projects.”
The Daily Beast reported Thursday that former Fox News host Tucker Carlson quietly stepped down from the board of The Daily Caller. Carlson co-founded the media organization in 2011 and has held a chair position for over a decade.
Nonetheless, citing an unreported tax filing, the report notes that Carlson disappeared from the board of The Daily Caller News Foundation in 2022. Still, the precise timing is unclear.
Carlson did not comment on his removal from the board but attempted to diminish The Daily Beast and the reporter.
“You’re still working for The Daily Beast? How old are you?” Carlson asked.
Tucker Carlson and The Daily Caller had kept the news hidden until recently. The nonprofit submitted its annual registration with the state on December 7, 2022, and Carlson’s name appeared as a director.
The nonprofit did not include his name in the annual registration they filed earlier this month. Additionally, on their September 2022 tax return, they omitted to list him as a board member.
Neil Patel, co-founder and chairperson of The Daily Caller, has been serving on the board with Carlson since the beginning. He expressed in a statement to The Daily Beast that Carlson was too busy for his five-hour-a-week board position and had reached his term limit without providing any additional explanation.
“We love Tucker,” the statement said. “He’s our founder. His board term was up and he’s busy with his new projects, so we moved him to an honorary role.”
News Media Reacts to MSNBC Canceling The Mehdi Hasan Show
After the cancellation of his program, the network plans to utilize Hasan as both an analyst and a fill-in host.
Semafor’s Max Tani reported on Thursday that MSNBC has canceled The Mehdi Hasan Show, which aired on Sundays at 8 PM ET. Furthermore, Hasan’s Peacock-exclusive program, which ran on Tuesday, is also being canceled.
After the cancellation of his program, the network plans to utilize Hasan as both an analyst and a fill-in host. There was plenty of reaction regarding the news. Here’s what some had to say:
Additionally, MSNBC will launch a new “ensemble” program that Alicia Menendez, Symone Sanders-Townsend, and Michael Steele will lead. The Weekend program will air on Saturdays and Sundays from 8-10 AM ET.
Jonathan Capehart’s program will air at 6 PM ET on weekends, and the weekend schedule will include an expanded three-hour edition of Alex Witt Reports.
MSNBC Shuffles Weekend Lineup, Cancels The Mehdi Hasan Show
After his program’s cancellation, the network plans to use Hasan as an analyst and a fill-in host.
MSNBC has reportedly canceled the weekend show hosted by Mehdi Hasan and will expand an existing program hosted by Ayman Mohyeldin, as part of a larger weekend shuffle.
The Mehdi Hasan Show aired on Sundays at 8 PM ET. Additionally, he hosted a Peacock-exclusive program on Tuesdays. After his program’s cancellation, the network plans to use Hasan as an analyst and a fill-in host, according to a report from Semafor’s Max Tani.
MSNBC will launch a new “ensemble” program that will be led by Alicia Menendez, Symone Sanders-Townsend, and Michael Steele. Dubbed The Weekend, the new program will air on both Saturday and Sunday from 8-10 AM ET. As part of the new program, both Symone Sanders-Townsend and Alicia Menendez will relinquish their already existing weekend shows.
“As we emerge from a multitude of historic events these past months, we have an opportunity to build on our accomplishments and keep the momentum going into 2024 and beyond,” MSNBC President Rashida Jones wrote in an internal memo to staffers Thursday, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The network is also moving the program hosted by Jonathan Capehart to 6 PM ET on both Saturdays and Sundays. The existing show in that timeslot helmed by Yasmin Vossoughian will end, and she will continue to work as a national reporter.
Alex Witt Reports will expand to three hours as part of the weekend shuffle.