NAB Show Attracts over 52K Attendees, Will Return to Vegas in 2023
The centennial celebration of the show will be held there April 15-19, 2023.
After two years of canceling the NAB Show, 2022 marked the event’s return in Las Vegas. And the results were positive. The event attracted 52,458 attendees, with people making the trip from 155 countries, and one in five attendees arriving from outside of the United States.
Those who attended the convention can plan on a return trip to Vegas next year. It was announced that the centennial celebration of the show will be held April 15-19, 2023.
“We are thrilled that our exhibitors, attendees and partners from all corners of the world turned out in force this week in Las Vegas,” NAB President and CEO Curtis LeGeyt said.
“The enthusiasm and engagement on the show floor, in sessions, and throughout the entire event have been invigorating. We thank the NAB Show community for making this year’s convention an incredible experience as we get back to doing business in person.”
During this past NAB show, LeGeyt laid out his vision and priorities for the NAB. In his address to the industry, the new NAB President and CEO highlighted radio and television’s still-important role in Americans’ lives. He also explained the three areas he is focused on; winning policy fights to help broadcasters succeed in today’s media climate, making sure the NAB is involved in business-oriented initiatives led by the organization’s membership, and restoring the NAB Show’s position as one of the premier events for the entire broadcasting industry.
Eduardo Razo is the Assistant Content Editor for BNM, which includes writing daily news stories on the news media industry. He can be found on Twitter @eddierazo_ or you can reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Erick Erickson: Despite Big Numbers, No One Outside of Twitter is Talking About Tucker Carlson
“No one off Twitter is talking about the content at all.”
Tucker Carlson debuted his video show on Twitter earlier this week to much fanfare. Erick Erickson believes you can be fooled by the reach displayed in the first installment.
Many conservative pundits pointed to analytics to prove that Carlson’s show on the social media app will actually have a bigger presence than it did while being broadcast on Fox News.
However, Erickson argued in a tweet that any mention of Carlson outside of the social media platform is largely non-existent.
“The Tucker Carlson problem in a nutshell: I see many people on Twitter talking about how many views his video got, but no one on or off Twitter is talking about what he said in those ten minutes,” Erickson said. “No one off Twitter is talking about the content at all. Few on Twitter are either.”
According to public information available on Twitter, Carlson’s debut 10-minute episode — which Fox News contends breached his contract — has been viewed 106 million times as of this publication.
In the wake of Carlson’s large debut episode, a Twitter user has gone viral for claiming that they created a locked account with 0 followers, and will still have their tweets listed as receiving views, which should be impossible. The argument follows that Twitter is instead using impressions — rather than views — as the public metric displayed on individual tweets.
Bob Sirott Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Radio Debut
“My early radio career allowed me to adapt to television.”
June 8th, 1973. That’s the day Chicago media legend Bob Sirott got his start on WLS-AM.
In a tweet, the WGN Radio morning host shared a picture of his time at what was then The Big 89, and shared that it was the 50th anniversary of his debut on the Chicago station.
Sirott originally began his radio career on WBBM-FM in 1971 as a fill-in DJ before moving to WLS in 1973. He worked there until 1979 before joining WBBM-TV. In 1989, he shifted to a role at WMAQ-TV, before ultimately returning to radio in 2019.
“Radio is a lot more creative than television,” Sirott told Barrett News Media earlier this year. “It’s harder. My early radio career allowed me to adapt to television. It goes the other way, too. I think the television work has made me better at the radio the second time around.”
He replaced Steve Cochran as the morning host on WGN Radio. The 73-year-old saw his contract extended in 2021 to remain with the station.
Mandy Connell Off Show For A Month After Vocal Cord Surgery
Connell also revealed that Dr. Opperman had previously repaired a similar injury to her KOA colleague Ross Kaminsky.
850 KOA midday host Mandy Connell will be out of work for a month after recovering from surgery to repair her vocal cords Thursday.
Connell revealed her absence on Wednesday.
“Tomorrow morning, I will be having surgery on my vocal cords, and if you’ve never been to the blog before, and you want to see my actual vocal cords today’s the day because I have a photograph of my vocal cords on the blog today so you can clearly see what it is that my crack surgeon is going to be removing tomorrow,” Connell shared.
She then welcomed her surgeon, Dr. David Opperman, to the program to explain what exactly she’ll be undergoing. Connell also revealed that Dr. Opperman had previously repaired a similar injury to her KOA colleague Ross Kaminsky.
“We have to address the fact that you have sort of a little bump on your vocal cord that’s interfering with the way it vibrates,” Dr. Opperman revealed. “And that’s why you don’t sound like you used to a few years ago. It’s basically interfering with the sound production in your throat. So we’re going to put you to sleep very comfortably, use a little device that lets me look directly at your vocal cords, and then under a very high-powered magnification, we’re going to remove that spot.
“We actually have to lift up some of the tissue so that we can remove it without injuring the vibration surface. And that will preserve your voice and you’ll come back talking like you did five years ago.”
The doctor went on to tell Connell that her condition was likely caused by talking on-air for more than 20 hours per week in “different pitch ranges and intonations”.