Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Radio

Clay Travis, Buck Sexton Celebrate One-Year Anniversary

The “Clay & Buck” show became the official successor to the “Rush Limbaugh Show” after the conservative talk icon lost his battle with advanced-stage lung cancer last year.

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

The nationally syndicated radio duo of Clay Travis and Buck Sexton is celebrating their one-year anniversary this week. The “Clay & Buck” show became the official successor to the “Rush Limbaugh Show” after the conservative talk icon lost his battle with advanced-stage lung cancer last year.

Immediately following Rush’s passing, Premiere Networks decided to keep the show going with a select group of guest hosts who discussed current political events while using analysis from past Rush Limbaugh shows. The show featured Ken Matthews, Mark Steyn, and Todd Herman.

On May 27, 2021, Premiere announced that it was pairing evening host Buck Sexton with Outkick founder and former Fox Sports Radio host Clay Travis to host the all-new “Clay & Buck” show.

Last month, Travis and Sexton officially closed the final chapter of the Rush Limbaugh era when they retired his bumper music.

“We wanted to be straightforward with you guys again about the rights expiring in the wake of Rush’s death, and we used it for a year, and we don’t have those rights anymore,” said Travis last month.

Talkers Magazine has estimated that Clay & Buck’s show is the most-listened-to radio show in America, drawing about 9.5 million listeners a week.

Following Rush’s passing, program directors filled the 12-3 daypart using various options including Dan Bongino, Erick Erickson, Dana Loesch, and others.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Radio

Joe Thomas to Launch Talk Format on Newly Purchased WTON on May 25th

“We’ll bring you coverage of the local stories from this wide area we’ll be covering as we develop the best local shows alongside an all-star lineup of shows all day.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Joe Thomas and the WTON logo
(Photo: Joe Thomas)

Former C-Ville 107.5 host Joe Thomas is set to launch a talk format on WTON and a pair of translators he purchased in March that led to his departure from his longtime radio home.

On Saturday, May 25th, Thomas will launch the talk format on the Staunton, Virginia station he purchased for $275,000, alongside FM translators on 98.9 in Harrisonburg and 101.1 in Crozet, VA.

“We want to hear your voice,” Thomas said in a statement to the Staunton News Leader. “We’ll bring you coverage of the local stories from this wide area we’ll be covering as we develop the best local shows alongside an all-star lineup of shows all day.”

After Monticello Media learned of Thomas’ purchase of the station in Staunton — which is roughly 45 minutes west of Charlottesville — the station ended its relationship with the morning drive host and Program Director. He had worked at the station since 2007.

Since his departure, Thomas has been hosting a digital program in preparation for his new station and program to launch.

With the new lineup on WTON, Joe Thomas will host the morning show that begins at 6 AM. The rest of the station lineup has yet to be finalized, he told the newspaper, stating that he’s still interested in formulating local programming before turning to nationally syndicated offerings.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Eric Von Haessler: Why Do We Even Need Debate Moderators?

“The moderator does not need to be a part of the debate and they always are. And it’s insane.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Eric Von Haessler
(Photo: 95.5 WSB)

CNN and ABC News have announced plans for presidential debates, with moderators yet to be announced. 95.5 WSB host Eric Von Haessler wonders why the position is even needed.

As reports surface that CNN will tab Jake Tapper and Dana Bash, while ABC News is considering using David Muir and Linsey Davis, Von Haessler said the mere idea of a moderate feels like a foreign concept.

“First of all, they’ll be terrible. I would rather have nobody. They’re all prima donnas. Prima donnas,” Von Haessler reiterated. “And it just turns out that anybody that you pick out of 24-hour news buildings, just full of prima donnas. Why do we need two moderators? That’s number one. And then number two, why do we need any moderators? I don’t think that Lincoln/Douglas, I don’t think they had a moderator there. There used to be a way of debating that each side knew how to do this. Or just have like, Kevin Hart, Snoop Dogg, Martha Stewart, Bert Kreischer, I don’t care.

“The moderator does not need to be a part of the debate and they always are. And it’s insane. I think that there’s got to be some way that there’s somebody there who just sort of kicks it off just randomly. “But whoever moderates the debate should have gotten the short straw.”

Eric Von Haessler continued by joking that the job would be a perfect use of AI technology while adding that the likelihood that each moderator shows up to the debate with a mindset that the evening isn’t about them is incredibly low.

“We need someone who doesn’t have an agent. How about that? No one is allowed to moderate a presidential or vice presidential debate if they have an agent.”

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Bill O’Reilly: CNN Doesn’t ‘Have One Person On Their Roster That Can Do An Incisive Debate’

“And that’s the problem.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Bill O'Reilly
(Photo: Bill O'Reilly)

CNN and ABC News have both announced plans for a presidential debate in the coming months. Bill O’Reilly doesn’t like the prospects of what he’ll see, though.

While joining 77 WABC’s Sid Rosenberg Friday morning, Bill O’Reilly shared his belief that neither network is equipped with the correct talent to host a debate of this magnitude.

“They don’t have one person on their roster who can really do an incisive debate,” O’Reilly said of CNN, as Rosenberg agreed. “And that’s the problem. ABC is gonna have to throw up (George) Stephanopoulos because (David) Muir, the anchor of their nightly news, I don’t think he’s got the ability to do something like this.”

O’Reilly continued by pointing out past statements from CNN’s Jake Tapper, who many assume will be included as one of the debate moderators for the network’s June 27th event, where he was overly critical of the then-President.

Despite the insinuation by Bill O’Reilly that Muir would be over his head during such an event, a report from TVNewser claims Muir and current ABC World News Tonight Sunday anchor Linsey Davis will helm the moderator chairs in September. The same report says Tapper and Dana Bash will serve as moderators for CNN.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement Will Cain
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.