BNM Summit

News Radio

Kevin Battle Sees Audacy’s KDKA NewsRadio Terminate Contract

Last year, Battle told Barrett News Media that he became involved in the news/talk format after a stint at a Baltimore sports station came to an end.

Ryan Hedrick

A photo of the KDKA logo

Pittsburgh radio personality Kevin Battle announced that Audacy-owned KDKA NewsRadio unexpectedly terminated his contract Tuesday. Battle shared the news on Facebook, stating that “evolving business situations” prompted the cut.

“It has been an absolute thrill and honor to be able to return to Pittsburgh to work at the legendary KDKA-AM/FM and with the professionals who make it sound great – especially our producer, Rob Graner,” Battle said.

“I started selling motorcycles part-time and then I landed a part-time job at WNEW 99.1 FM in Washington D.C. After a year, somebody told me about a position in New York at Fox News Radio,” he said at the time.

A native Pittsburgher, Battle graduated from nearby Clarion University.

“I will be forever grateful to those of you who chose to tune in to the show each morning,” he said. “It really means so much to me that you spent your time listening and sharing your busy day with us. Thank YOU! I will miss you all.”

26 Comments

26 Comments

1. Maryanne

August 17, 2022 at 8:18 am

Seriously – u fired Kevin who was doing a nice job and you keep the 9-12:00 host ?!?!?!?! That show is getting old –

• Michael

August 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm

Agreed….his show is one script with the same rhetoric ( insert topic here ). Perhaps if Kevin had a wife who also works ar KDKA he would still have a job. I seriously question the person who is evaluating the talent there and on 93.7 the fan. Audacy, if you really want to save some money and keep listeners, here’s a suggestion, Let Larry do his own morning show, move Kevin to follow and fire Griffin. On 93.7 the fan, fire Starkey and let Ron Cook do his own show.

2. Maryanne

August 17, 2022 at 8:18 am

• Michael

August 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm

3. Theresa

August 17, 2022 at 4:08 pm

I’m so sad this happened to Kevin. I listen to the 5am show M-F while getting ready for work. I enjoyed Kevin and thought he did a great job. I hope he can find something else in Pittsburgh. His family is here. There are others who should have been let go and not him. God bless you Kevin.

4. Theresa

August 17, 2022 at 4:08 pm

5. Kate

August 17, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Very sad indeed. While Larry and John were a great pairing, I came to enjoy Kevin’s ying to Larry’s yang. In shuffling on-air personalities, how about a decision about the noon to 3 slot, which has been vacant for too long now, with an incredible mish mash of folks. I never know from day to day if I’m going to listen then.

6. Kate

August 17, 2022 at 9:20 pm

7. Susan

August 18, 2022 at 8:01 am

Very sad!!! Something is now missing on the morning show without Kevin.

8. Susan

August 18, 2022 at 8:01 am

Very sad!!! Something is now missing on the morning show without Kevin.

9. Don

August 18, 2022 at 8:03 am

Kevin deserves the Noon to 3 slot. His personality is a breath of fresh air to KDKA.

10. Don

August 18, 2022 at 8:03 am

11. Elaine Kristan

August 18, 2022 at 5:59 pm

I, too am very sad and disappointed that you fired Kevin . He was excellent. He was the one who put the zing in the morning show. I agree with the previous person…Kevin was a breath of fresh air that KDKA so badly needed. Two days without Kevin and the morning show is back to its hum-drum, unexciting pace. What a MISTAKE KDKA! God Bless You, Kevin. We miss you!!!

12. Elaine Kristan

August 18, 2022 at 5:59 pm

13. J J Dram

August 19, 2022 at 9:27 am

I was happy when Marty Griffin went on vacation, now he leads off and will be on air even longer!! If the Manager ever listened to his hosts, he’d know . Who listeners call and who they do not!! KDKA was once the family station. They appear quite prejudiced, and they
    crudely handle their people. KDKA needs new management. Cause this one only thinks it knows Pittsburgh.

14. J J Dram

August 19, 2022 at 9:27 am

15. Gloria

August 19, 2022 at 10:10 am

I love the new pairing of Marty and Larry. I could not listen to KDKA in the morning because Kevin’s viewpoints were often biased and baseless. Although I am not unhappy with his departure, as a fellow Pittsburgher, I wish him well.

16. Gloria

August 19, 2022 at 10:10 am

17. Emilia

August 20, 2022 at 8:44 am

You made a big mistake in letting Kevin go. He was a breath of fresh air! I thought he made an enormous contribution to the morning show. I loved waking up early and listening to Larry and Kevin. In the past, KDKA made the same mistake in getting rid of Mike Pentax. In time you realized your mistake and brought him back to KDKA. Let’s hope you soon realize your mistake and try to bring him back to KDKA.

18. Emilia

August 20, 2022 at 8:44 am

19. Margaret

August 21, 2022 at 8:55 pm

What a mistake to let Kevin go…I felt sure he would be the perfect one to take over when Larry would retire (not wishing for that to occur anytime soon)Larry is perfect and I enjoy his style tremendously, however, looking to the future.
    Even though I also listen to Marty I don’t think he is a good fit for that time frame. Once before Marty shared a show and it was awful and didn’t last long. Hopefully management will see their mistake and beg Kevin to return.

Good luck!!!!

20. Margaret

August 21, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Good luck!!!!

21. Renee

August 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

What an absolute shame to let Kevin go!! There are so many of the host that are so divisive and argue with callers that I can’t even listen to them! But I looked forward to the morning show. Won’t be listening anymore

22. Renee

August 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

23. JIM MCMAHON

August 26, 2022 at 7:36 am

As an old KQV listener so missed, then listening KDKA with Larry & John good show, after John’s retirement I think Kevin did a fine job. And I think KDKA made a big MISTAKE!

24. JIM MCMAHON

August 26, 2022 at 7:36 am

News Radio

Brian Kilmeade: Show is at Disadvantage Because Fox News Doesn’t Own Any Radio Stations

“A lot of that with these syndicated companies is ‘Oh, yeah. This is our guy. This is our woman, we’ll put them on.’ That’s kind of the way radio works.”

Barrett News Media

A photo of Brian Kilmeade
(Photo: Roy Rochlin | Getty Images)

The Brian Kilmeade Show has seen growth in recent months, with several new stations carrying the program. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a constant uphill climb for the Fox News host.

Many nationally syndicated shows air on stations that are also owned by the syndicators themselves, like Premiere Networks and Westwood One. Kilmeade told 77 WABC’s Sid Rosenberg that his show — which is distributed by Fox News Radio — doesn’t have the same luxury.

“We don’t own any stations. Fox doesn’t have any leverage, just like you guys. If people are going to pick up your show syndicated they’re going to pick it up on the quality of the show, is that John Catsimatidis owns 27 stations,” said Kilmeade, whose show airs on WABC in New York.

Brian Kilmeade also told Rosenberg his show is on the verge of being added in a “major city” in Texas, and is also nearing a deal to be heard locally on a station in a “major city” in Connecticut, on top of recently being added by WRVA in Virginia.

News Radio

Curtis Sliwa: Syndication Has Destroyed Talk Radio

“Because of syndication, we haven’t been able to develop live and local talent all over this nation.”

Barrett News Media

A photo of Curtis Sliwa
(Photo: CBS News)

77 WABC host Sid Rosenberg is considering taking his popular morning show into national syndication, but he doesn’t have the blessing of colleague Curtis Sliwa.

While discussing the possibility of Rosenberg joining the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Clay Travis, and Buck Sexton in the talk radio ranks of nationally syndicated hosts, Sliwa shared that he believes the industry has been ruined by the development of syndication.

“All syndication sucks. It has destroyed talk radio,” Sliwa sternly said. “Because of syndication, we haven’t been able to develop live and local talent all over this nation, because it’s just so easy for a station to plug in syndication.

“I was at the original WABC when Rush (Limbaugh) was doing local, and eventually national. He was better (locally). (Sean) Hannity? Better! Mark Levin? Better! Much better! Because all of a sudden, you get syndicated, and it’s milquetoast. You gotta hit your marks. You can’t offend people.”

Sliwa then told Rosenberg he would hate being a syndicated host.

“Program Directors from two-watt stations that you can’t even find on a map — ‘I’m gonna get rid of the Sid Rosenberg show, and that’s gonna create a domino effect!’ — do you need that irritation?!”

Rosenberg then admitted that being a local host allows him flexibility in the program’s clock, which has led to issues inside the hallways at 77 WABC.

“I don’t necessarily do a good job with that because I always consider content to be more important. I think the ads can wait,” said Rosenberg. “And that has caused, I mean screaming matches — screaming matches — in the hallway between me and Chad (Lopez). I love and respect Chad. He’s my boss and the best boss I’ve ever had. But I have a way of doing things and I don’t want the clock to get in the way and when it comes to syndication, you’re right, that becomes a huge pain in the ass.”

Curtis Sliwa appears on Sid and Friends in the Morning each weekday but said that would end if Rosenberg took the program to a nationally syndicated audience.

“You will lose me. I will not do syndicated radio. That has destroyed talk radio,” Sliwa said defiantly.

Sliwa continued by noting that he has been tasked with finding new talent by John Catsimatidis and Chad Lopez in an effort to combat George Soros, who recently became the largest shareholder in Audacy.

News Radio

WLS-AM 890 Celebrates 100th Anniversary

Several famous radio moments took place on WLS-AM 890 during its early days.

Barrett News Media

A photo of the WLS 100 anniversay logo

WLS-AM 890 is celebrating a large milestone Friday, as the Chicago news/talk station marks the 100th anniversary of its sign-on date.

The station debuted on Saturday, April 12th, 1924 with the call letters WLS, which stood for “World’s Largest Store,” as it was owned by Sears, Roebuck and Co. The retailer sold the station to Prairie Farmer magazine in 1928. Through a series of ownership changes, it was eventually purchased by ABC before being sold to Citadel Broadcasting in 2007, before Citadel was acquired by Cumulus Media — the current owner of the station — in 2011.

The station has undergone several different formats throughout its life, spending decades as one of the nation’s premier CHR stations until it made the full-time switch to talk radio in 1989.

Several famous radio moments took place on WLS-AM 890 during its early days. The famous Hindenburg disaster was brought to audiences around the globe by WLS reporter Herbert Morrison who decided “Oh, the humanity!” while seeing the zeppelin burst into flames. The station was also the first to play The Beatles in the United States.

Currently, the Chicago news/talk station airs a combination of local and nationally syndicated programs. Steve Cochran helms mornings from 5:30-9 AM, before syndicated hosts Chris Plante, Dan Bongino, and Ben Shapiro run the station through middays. The Closing Bell, hosted by Bret Gogoel is a one-hour business program airing from 3-4 PM, while Gogoel also hosts PM Chicago, an additional one-hour local news program. Mark Levin and Michael Knowles round out the remaining hours of the programming lineup.