News Audio

Kevin Battle Sees Audacy’s KDKA NewsRadio Terminate Contract

Last year, Battle told Barrett News Media that he became involved in the news/talk format after a stint at a Baltimore sports station came to an end.

Ryan Hedrick

Pittsburgh radio personality Kevin Battle announced that Audacy-owned KDKA NewsRadio unexpectedly terminated his contract Tuesday. Battle shared the news on Facebook, stating that “evolving business situations” prompted the cut.

“It has been an absolute thrill and honor to be able to return to Pittsburgh to work at the legendary KDKA-AM/FM and with the professionals who make it sound great – especially our producer, Rob Graner,” Battle said.

“I started selling motorcycles part-time and then I landed a part-time job at WNEW 99.1 FM in Washington D.C. After a year, somebody told me about a position in New York at Fox News Radio,” he said at the time.

A native Pittsburgher, Battle graduated from nearby Clarion University.

“I will be forever grateful to those of you who chose to tune in to the show each morning,” he said. “It really means so much to me that you spent your time listening and sharing your busy day with us. Thank YOU! I will miss you all.”

26 Comments

26 Comments

1. Maryanne

August 17, 2022 at 8:18 am

Seriously – u fired Kevin who was doing a nice job and you keep the 9-12:00 host ?!?!?!?! That show is getting old –

• Michael

August 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm

Agreed….his show is one script with the same rhetoric ( insert topic here ). Perhaps if Kevin had a wife who also works ar KDKA he would still have a job. I seriously question the person who is evaluating the talent there and on 93.7 the fan. Audacy, if you really want to save some money and keep listeners, here’s a suggestion, Let Larry do his own morning show, move Kevin to follow and fire Griffin. On 93.7 the fan, fire Starkey and let Ron Cook do his own show.

2. Maryanne

August 17, 2022 at 8:18 am

• Michael

August 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm

3. Theresa

August 17, 2022 at 4:08 pm

I’m so sad this happened to Kevin. I listen to the 5am show M-F while getting ready for work. I enjoyed Kevin and thought he did a great job. I hope he can find something else in Pittsburgh. His family is here. There are others who should have been let go and not him. God bless you Kevin.

4. Theresa

August 17, 2022 at 4:08 pm

5. Kate

August 17, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Very sad indeed. While Larry and John were a great pairing, I came to enjoy Kevin’s ying to Larry’s yang. In shuffling on-air personalities, how about a decision about the noon to 3 slot, which has been vacant for too long now, with an incredible mish mash of folks. I never know from day to day if I’m going to listen then.

6. Kate

August 17, 2022 at 9:20 pm

7. Susan

August 18, 2022 at 8:01 am

Very sad!!! Something is now missing on the morning show without Kevin.

8. Susan

August 18, 2022 at 8:01 am

Very sad!!! Something is now missing on the morning show without Kevin.

9. Don

August 18, 2022 at 8:03 am

Kevin deserves the Noon to 3 slot. His personality is a breath of fresh air to KDKA.

10. Don

August 18, 2022 at 8:03 am

11. Elaine Kristan

August 18, 2022 at 5:59 pm

I, too am very sad and disappointed that you fired Kevin . He was excellent. He was the one who put the zing in the morning show. I agree with the previous person…Kevin was a breath of fresh air that KDKA so badly needed. Two days without Kevin and the morning show is back to its hum-drum, unexciting pace. What a MISTAKE KDKA! God Bless You, Kevin. We miss you!!!

12. Elaine Kristan

August 18, 2022 at 5:59 pm

13. J J Dram

August 19, 2022 at 9:27 am

I was happy when Marty Griffin went on vacation, now he leads off and will be on air even longer!! If the Manager ever listened to his hosts, he’d know . Who listeners call and who they do not!! KDKA was once the family station. They appear quite prejudiced, and they
    crudely handle their people. KDKA needs new management. Cause this one only thinks it knows Pittsburgh.

14. J J Dram

August 19, 2022 at 9:27 am

15. Gloria

August 19, 2022 at 10:10 am

I love the new pairing of Marty and Larry. I could not listen to KDKA in the morning because Kevin’s viewpoints were often biased and baseless. Although I am not unhappy with his departure, as a fellow Pittsburgher, I wish him well.

16. Gloria

August 19, 2022 at 10:10 am

17. Emilia

August 20, 2022 at 8:44 am

You made a big mistake in letting Kevin go. He was a breath of fresh air! I thought he made an enormous contribution to the morning show. I loved waking up early and listening to Larry and Kevin. In the past, KDKA made the same mistake in getting rid of Mike Pentax. In time you realized your mistake and brought him back to KDKA. Let’s hope you soon realize your mistake and try to bring him back to KDKA.

18. Emilia

August 20, 2022 at 8:44 am

19. Margaret

August 21, 2022 at 8:55 pm

What a mistake to let Kevin go…I felt sure he would be the perfect one to take over when Larry would retire (not wishing for that to occur anytime soon)Larry is perfect and I enjoy his style tremendously, however, looking to the future.
    Even though I also listen to Marty I don’t think he is a good fit for that time frame. Once before Marty shared a show and it was awful and didn’t last long. Hopefully management will see their mistake and beg Kevin to return.

Good luck!!!!

20. Margaret

August 21, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Good luck!!!!

21. Renee

August 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

What an absolute shame to let Kevin go!! There are so many of the host that are so divisive and argue with callers that I can’t even listen to them! But I looked forward to the morning show. Won’t be listening anymore

22. Renee

August 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

23. JIM MCMAHON

August 26, 2022 at 7:36 am

As an old KQV listener so missed, then listening KDKA with Larry & John good show, after John’s retirement I think Kevin did a fine job. And I think KDKA made a big MISTAKE!

24. JIM MCMAHON

August 26, 2022 at 7:36 am

News Audio

SiriusXM Moves Into Top Podcast Network Spot Ahead of Spotify

SiriusXM Media came in first place in Q3, reclaiming the top spot from Spotify for the Top Podcast Network in the United States.

Eduardo Razo

2022 is coming to an end, which means there will be various lists summing up different data for the year, and one of those is Top Podcast Networks in the U.S. for total network reach in Q3 2022.

SiriusXM Media came in first place in Q3, reclaiming the top spot from Spotify (h/t Radio Online), with iHeartRadio, AudioBoom, and NPR rounding out the top five podcast networks.

SiriusXM and Spotify are neck and neck, vying for the top spot. However, the two are well ahead of third place iHeartRadio, comfortably ahead of the fourth spot on the chart, Audioboom.

The list classifies the most listened-to podcast networks established on total audience reach from Edison Podcast Metrics.

From a news media perspective, The New York Times finished in the top six; The Blaze Network finished in the top 25. Meanwhile, The Ramsey Network rounds out the Top 30 podcast networks in Q3.

News Audio

Dave Ramsey Welcomes Jade Warshaw as New Personality

There will be a new voice that listeners will hear on “The Ramsey Show” as the show’s host, Dave Ramsey, welcomes Jade Warshaw.

Eduardo Razo

There will be a new voice that listeners will hear on “The Ramsey Show” as the show’s host, Dave Ramsey, welcomes Jade Warshaw, who joins the program as a personality.

“I’m excited to announce @JadeWarshaw as a BRAND NEW Ramsey Personality!” Ramsey said on Twitter Tuesday.

“You will be seeing a lot more of her in the coming weeks. Tune into The Ramsey Show [Tuesday] to hear more about Jade and her story. Welcome to the crew, Jade!!”

Ramsey adding a new personality comes on the heels of the radio host telling stations they must know how to sell and to whom in an inflationary economy.

“Every budget that everybody that’s possibly going to buy an ad from any of us is getting tighter and tighter,” Ramsey said (h/t Inside Radio). “They’re looking for anything that is superfluous, anything that is extra, any fat, anything that’s not ROI-ing.”

News Audio

Erick Erickson: Ron DeSantis Built Conservative News Network Around Him

Ryan Hedrick

Atlanta-based syndicated radio host Erick Erickson said Tuesday that the mainstream media is out to get Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Erickson also accused the media of grouping every Republican, including DeSantis, into the category of insurrectionist.

“As a result, the mainstream media has decided to target every Republican and accuse them of being a January 6th style, election-denying candidate willing to upend democracy,” Erickson stated.

Erickson referenced a New York Magazine article written by Jonathan Chait questioning whether DeSantis is the future of Trumpism.

“It doesn’t really work so well,” Erickson said about the article. “The public sees through this kind of stuff. The media essentially saw why the Republicans lost and now want to extrapolate that and apply it to every other Republican to help them lose.”

Erickson said DeSantis is not taking the media’s bait and it’s working in his favor, unlike former President Donald Trump who continues to lash out on TRUTH Social which is what the mainstream media wants.

“Trump is just an old man trying not to be forgotten,” Erickson said.

“This is what is going to happen over the next two years,” he added. “Every time Trump has an outburst, reporters will rush to get every Republican on the record. DeSantis isn’t interviewing with these people so he can’t be put on the spot.”

Erickson said DeSantis has cultivated a conservative news network around him and he’s not paying any attention to the left-leaning outlets that don’t provide favorable coverage of him.

Copyright © 2022 Barrett Media.