Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined The Joe Rogan Experience for the first time this weekend, and revealed the FBI asked Facebook to restrict the story about Hunter Biden’s, the now-President’s son, laptop.
After noting Facebook “took a different path than Twitter”, Zuckerberg said “The FBI, I think basically came to us, some folks on our team, and was like, ‘Hey, um, just so you know, like, you should be on high alert. We thought that there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election. We have it on notice that basically there’s about to be some kind of dump of — that’s similar to that. So just be vigilant.’”
Zuckerberg said Twitter’s policy is a complete inability to share the story, but Facebook uses a third party fact-checking program to decide the validity of such claims.
“I think it was five or seven days when it was basically being determined, whether it was false,” Zuckerberg said. “The distribution on Facebook was decreased, but people were still allowed to share it. So you could still share it. You could still consume it.”
Rogan then questioned the Meta CEO on the definition of “decreased distribution”, with Zuckerberg noting, essentially, it removed the story from Facebook newsfeeds for five to seven days.
Report: The Recount Intends to Suspend Operations
Despite its short history, the company pivoted its focus a few times and quickly burned through the money it raised.
After four years of existence, The Recount, a video news startup launched in 2018, informed staffers it plans to suspend operations next Friday, per Axios.
The company has raised over $34 million since 2020 but has not found a profitable business model. Moreover, like most media outlets, its chances worsened amid the financial downturn.
Axios added to its reporting that The Recount’s leaders are still in talks with buyers, and they may try to persist with their operations if they can reach an agreement before next Friday’s deadline.
Despite its short history, the company pivoted its focus a few times and quickly burned through the money it raised. Last month, The Recount lost $10 million in 2021 on $1 million in revenue.
Many of The Recount’s staff were laid off last month, reducing its total employee count to around a dozen. Those cuts came after a round of cuts in the spring that reduced its staff roughly in half from approximately 75.
Eduardo Razo is the Assistant Content Editor for BNM, which includes writing daily news stories on the news media industry. He can be found on Twitter @eddierazo_ or you can reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FCC Commissioner: Americans Need To Stop Using TikTok
Brendan Carr is once again sounding the alarm about the dangers of TikTok to the American youth.
Federal Communications Commissioner Brendan Carr is once again sounding the alarm about the dangers of TikTok to the American youth.
Carr appeared on “The Glenn Beck Show” Thursday to discuss why lawmakers seem to be ignoring the obvious of TikTok.
“What’s really happening when you’re using TikTok, every time you swipe or click or search, what you’re doing is feeding, improving, and training China’s artificial intelligence,” said Carr.
Carr told Beck that China has promised to dominate the world in Artificial Intelligence (AI) by 2030 for the purposes of surveillance and asserting its control.
“The idea that we are sending these clips and data back to Beijing and improving their AI and that’s going to come back and bite us in ways that are unrelated to Tik Tok itself,” said Carr.
Carr said China’s big fallback is that they don’t understand Western free thinking and that’s why there’s such an aggressive push to collect our data and analyze it to understand how our Western culture functions.
“They need Americans to be on Tik Tok to observe their usage of data to create their AI. We do need to look broadly at how we can stop China from growing their artificial intelligence.”
Ryan Hedrick serves as the Assistant Program Director and Co-Host of the Morning News Express at WFMD. Prior to WFMD, he hosted an afternoon program at News Talk 103.7 FM in Chambersburg, PA. He has worked at Sirius XM in Washington D.C., WBEN in Buffalo, NY, and for stations in Baltimore, MD. He has also worked at WIBW-AM in Topeka KS, earning the Kansas Association of Broadcasters (KAB) award for Major Market enterprise reporting in 2016. To connect with Ryan, find him on Twitter @SureToCover.
Twitter Suspends Kanye West After More Anti-Semitic Comments
“I tried my best. Despite that, he again violated our rule against incitement to violence,” Twitter owner Elon Musk tweeted.
Twitter has removed Kanye West from its platform after the controversial figure tweeted more anti-Semitic comments.
West was officially removed after he tweeted a picture that showed a swastika inside a Star of David, and insinuated that would be the logo he used for a presidential campaign in 2024.
“I tried my best. Despite that, he again violated our rule against incitement to violence,” Twitter owner Elon Musk tweeted. “Account will be suspended.”
West also tweeted a photo of Musk shirtless on a yacht being sprayed by another billionaire with a hose.
Musk later clarified that West was being removed from the platform due to his “incitement to violence” rather than the unflattering picture.
Weeks ago, Musk said Twitter under his watch will be “freedom of speech, not freedom of reach”.