Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Radio

Talk Radio Reacts To KGO 810 Format Change

Listeners were shocked to hear the station interrupt The Mark Thompson Show Thursday with a recorded message shortly after 10 a.m. 

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

One of the oldest news/talk brands in the country is signing off. San Francisco’s KGO 810 is changing formats Monday. The station made its debut back in 1924. 

The Cumulus-owned station has not confirmed what the format change will look like but according to The Desk, KGO Radio will relaunch as a sports betting format using the moniker, ‘The Spread’. A combination of BetQL and local sports betting talk programming is expected to be featured starting Monday.

Late Thursday, broadcast industry professionals reacted to the news via social media.

“It has been a dream come true. When I was a college student at San Jose State University, I always said my dream was having my own show on KGO Radio,” said host Nikki Medoro on Facebook. For the last several years, I fulfilled my dream of talking with people in the Bay Area, the hometown that I love.” 

Listeners were shocked to hear the station interrupt The Mark Thompson Show Thursday with a recorded message shortly after 10 a.m. 

“End of an era, but not all that surprising considering the way the winds are blowing in that business,” tweeted former overnight man Ray Woodson.

“This is extremely sad. I have nothing but happy memories of producing @KGO810 for 6 years. Feel terrible for my old coworkers losing their jobs and to the KGO listeners,” said former producer Albert Ermelo. 

KCBS Radio’s Doug Sovern said he was shocked to learn of the format flip. 

“This is shocking, to say the least,” he tweeted. “A Bay Area Radio institution, which had already been gutted, quite frankly, for years, is dead,” he said. “One of the great stations in the history of radio. Rest In Programming.”  

“So apparently, the last shovel of dirt has been thrown on KGO, interestingly after their best book in some time,” added former KGO host Gil Gross. From the teasers during the music stunting of songs about money and the stupid tease line “you can bet on it”, it’s going to be another robot run sports betting format which is all the rage among brainless, out of ideas, radio companies.” 

WBBM Radio host Rob Hart said that KGO’s 27-year run as the top-rated station in the city was remarkable. 

“I had two co-workers who had long tenure at KGO Radio in San Francisco, and a bunch of people who were second- and third-degree radio connections so I knew the esteem it once held in that city,” he added

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
8 Comments

8 Comments

  1. Dick

    October 7, 2022 at 12:21 pm

    I guess this is the end of AM radio for me….this is truly SAD….. I don’t listen to other people sports, but nice to see your comments (at “3 seconds” after you posted it this morning..)

    :… I have only listened to KGO from Junior Hight days(nights)……(talk show at the Hungry Eye….)(also, later in the night, conversely, Wolfman Jack on XERB “over Los Angeles”…….)

    My latest ‘find’ on KGO AM radio was John Batchelor’s show `”CBS Eye on the World”

    Good luck with KGO ‘news’..Thanks for listening…Dick(Oregon/Idaho with a C.Crane radio)

  2. Jay Berwanger

    October 7, 2022 at 5:35 pm

    What kind of format will the station have this Monday? Does anyone know, or the keeping it a secret? RIP KGO!!

  3. kay gee oh

    October 8, 2022 at 12:17 pm

    What a joke. They are going to turn it into a sports betting circus show. They are counting their chickens before it hatches. prop 26 and 27 for sports gambling in California will not pass. The people have spoken. Mark my words on it. This new format stage act of a show is a dud and a failure from the get go. It too will go out of business.

  4. SeaPenny

    October 10, 2022 at 2:48 pm

    I listened to KGO for decades. I did so because I wanted to hear what the left was thinking and talking about. I am very far politically from all of their hosts. I remember Bernie Ward, before he went to prison… I really like his show… Owen’s, he was full of himself. In the last few years KGO went even further to the left, the woke pronoun focused left. I figured they would still make it in the bay area because they were preaching to the choir down there…. This is a bad sign for the leftists in the bay area… To go woke and broke in the bay area is a sign the left has jumped the shark. RIP KGO

  5. Nick Priest

    October 10, 2022 at 7:47 pm

    I must say I am highly disappointed in KGO’s new programming. As of today, I quit listening to KGO.

  6. Sandra Abraham

    October 11, 2022 at 2:46 am

    I don’t like the new format. I like the talk show listening to people with their ideas & opinions and the talk show hosts. I’ll miss them. All I can say is good bye KGO Radio I won’t be listening to you

  7. Pedro C Wilson

    October 11, 2022 at 7:11 pm

    I’m at a total loss, I live in Arizona where the GOP still pretty much have a strangle hold on everything. It was so nice listening to KGO radio, it was like a breath of fresh air for us here. I will miss you KGO. I don’t gamble so I won’t be listening anymore.

  8. Linda Shelby

    October 12, 2022 at 4:00 pm

    I have been listening to KGO all my life. I am now 75. Stated with listening with my Grandmother.
    It was the one station where you could get the “real new”!!!
    I will never listen again!
    I see the station has gone the way of the world.
    How very disappointing!
    Sports and betting!! All I can say is wow!
    All about the money, big business and no more real, honest talk about what is really happening in the world!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Radio

Keith Olbermann: Tucker Carlson Live Tour ‘Not a Good Business Model’

“Pay money to see Tucker Carlson live when you could see him talk endlessly on Twitter for hours on end for free?”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Keith Olbermann's podcast logo

Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson announced a nationwide tour of live shows in the run-up to the 2024 presidential election earlier this month. Keith Olbermann has one question about the venture: why?

During his Countdown podcast, Olbermann shared his belief that the endeavor from Carlson was a puzzling one.

“Pay money to see Tucker Carlson live when you could see him talk endlessly on Twitter for hours on end for free? It’s not a good business model,” said Olbermann. “Actually, it turns out to not be any kind of business model.”

He then shared a news report from Australia where Carlson will host a similar tour after being invited by United Australia Party chairman Clive Palmer as a featured guest. Tickets to see Carlson were as much as $200 to hear both men speak.

However, ticket sales were not off to a rousing success, with prices being dropped and one Australian newspaper claiming hundreds of tickets were still available in the 9,000-seat ICC Sydney Theatre.

Keith Olbermann believes there’s a specific reason Tucker Carlson is failing to sell tickets in Australia, and posited about what that could mean for his American tour.

“Why has Tucker live failed? Well, for one thing, he started as a manipulative, dishonest fascist and that was when I worked with him 20 years ago,” said Olbermann, “but he’s gone bad since then. He’s now approaching full-on psychosis.

“The other thing I forgot to mention? The special guest on the Tour de Tucker? Dinesh D’Souza will be there. Come on, give it up for Dinesh D’Souza. ‘Come on out, Dinesh and lie to the people.'”

Currently, Tucker Carlson has 10 scheduled tour dates around the United States in September in cities like Phoenix, Anaheim, Milwaukee, and Kansas City, among others. He’ll be joined by special guests like Alex Jones, Vivek Ramaswamy, Megyn Kelly, Charlie Kirk, and Donald Trump Jr. at individual stops.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Erick Erickson: CNN Deserves Credit for Granting Others Access to Debate

ABC News, PBS, and Fox News have all been announced as partners for the first debate that will be held on Thursday, June 27th.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Erick Erickson
(Photo: Erick Erickson)

Several announcements this week have revealed simulcast partners for the first presidential debate produced by CNN. Erick Erickson believes in giving credit where it’s due.

ABC News, PBS, and Fox News have all been announced as partners for the first debate that will be held on Thursday, June 27th. Additionally, Fox News struck a deal to broadcast the debate for affiliates on Fox News Radio, and also on the FOX broadcast network.

In a post to X, Erick Erickson — a former CNN contributor — shared that he believes the network deserves kudos for being willing to work with other networks to make the broadcast more accessible.

“CNN deserves a lot of credit for letting every network access and broadcast their debate,” the host shared.

A report from The Los Angeles Times claims that in addition to ABC News, PBS, and Fox News joining as simulcast partners, CNN has also struck deals with MSNBC, NBC News, NewsNation, Newsmax, Scripps News, and Telemundo have also joined to televise the 90-minute event. However, those networks have yet to announce their plans.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Bill Spadea Continuing to Host on New Jersey 101.5 During Governor Run Questioned by NJ Election Commission

“I’ve got news for everyone. We’re digging in. We’re ready to fight. We’re not going anywhere.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Bill Spadea
(Photo: Bill Spadea)

Earlier this week, New Jersey 101.5 morning host Bill Spadea announced plans to run for governor of the Garden State. He plans to continue hosting his program during the campaign, but now a state election commission will decide if he’s violating any statutes.

The New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission is investigating whether or not Spadea’s current plan — to not officially file his candidacy until the deadline to ensure he can continue hosting his morning show — violates any laws. By not registering as a candidate until the last moment, Sapdea would not — theoretically — be in violation of equal-time regulations for political advertising and candidates.

The commission informed Spadea and Townsquare Media of a hearing on Wednesday, June 26th, that will examine whether or not he and the broadcaster are in violation of the in-kind contribution limits, which are set at $5,800.

 “Leave it to the Trenton Swamp to come after the first middle-class threat to their fiefdom in decades. My opponents and their power broker pals are coming after me for one reason: they’re scared of what I stand for,” Spadea said in a statement. “The insiders are scared that when I win, the people of New Jersey will regain power – and they’ll lose theirs. I’ve got news for everyone. We’re digging in. We’re ready to fight. We’re not going anywhere.”

Townsquare Media has maintained that until Bill Spadea becomes a “legally qualified candidate” for the governor’s race, he will “continue to fulfill his employment responsibilities” on New Jersey 101.5.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement Will Cain
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.