Barrett News Media Summit 2024

News Radio

KNX Morning Anchor Dick Helton Retiring

In addition to serving as morning co-anchor on KNX, Helton also works as the station’s Senior Political Correspondent.

Barrett News Media

After 24 years with all-news KNX in Los Angeles, Dick Helton has announced his retirement.

Helton joined KNX in 1998 after spending 29 years at WBBM in Chicago. He spent 13 years hosting afternoons at the Chicago all-news station before joining its sister station in Los Angeles.

Helton’s final day on air will be Friday, with co-anchor Vicky Moore asking for comments and audio she can use on air to help honor her teammate.

29 Comments

29 Comments

1. Frances Davies

October 13, 2022 at 7:25 pm

I listened to Dick when I lived in Chicago on WBBM in the 80s

2. Frances Davies

October 13, 2022 at 7:25 pm

I listened to Dick when I lived in Chicago on WBBM in the 80s

3. John R Pavone

October 14, 2022 at 12:21 am

I would tune into Dick more for his delightful rapport with Vicky and Jennifer than the news content.

For me, his warmth and integrity came across the airwaves to help set the tone for the day ahead and somehow made the chaos of the world more manageable.

4. Torben Pedersen

October 14, 2022 at 8:40 am

Thank you, Dick … for joining me on my daily drive to work … for the last 24 years … It has been a pleasure listening to you … A the best yo you with your retirement …

5. Torben Pedersen

October 14, 2022 at 8:40 am

6. Judge Robert Rassp

October 14, 2022 at 10:05 am

Your journalistic style and informative voice brought me to work for a long commute every weekday morning for the last 24 years.

7. Judge Robert Rassp

October 14, 2022 at 10:05 am

8. Robert Barajas

October 14, 2022 at 10:48 am

Been nice listening to you dick I listen the early morning news Your Voice Sounds like a rough cowboy has that cowboy voice sounds real good on the radio but your visual face looks humble and gentle LOL LOL okay dick make sure you start off with a nice vacation on your retirement many blessings to you and your family

9. Robert Barajas

October 14, 2022 at 10:48 am

10. Harrison

October 14, 2022 at 11:13 am

Never Seen the Face behind the Pleaseing voice Until today, Your voice matches your look, Enjoy retirement, Going to miss you

11. Harrison

October 14, 2022 at 11:13 am

12. Francisco

October 14, 2022 at 11:25 am

I will miss you Sr

13. Francisco

October 14, 2022 at 11:25 am

I will miss you Sr

14. June sheets

October 14, 2022 at 11:39 am

Will miss hearing your voice but very happy for you!!

15. June sheets

October 14, 2022 at 11:39 am

Will miss hearing your voice but very happy for you!!

16. Jim

October 14, 2022 at 12:33 pm

He’s one of those voices that are part of your life. Radio will not be the same without you. Enjoy your retirement.

17. Jim

October 14, 2022 at 12:33 pm

18. Olga

October 14, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Dick Helton, congratulations on your retirement!!
    I am a native Angelino and have listened to you since your hire date on
    KNX NEWS 1070 AM.
    I will miss your professional delivery and detailed information of our news and the kindness in your voice.
    You hold our hand as we listen, while you help us comprehend, and you ease the anxiety of our constant changing and challenging times.
    And with the positive news, you bring charm and wit.

19. Olga

October 14, 2022 at 12:56 pm

Dick Helton, congratulations on your retirement!!
    I am a native Angelino and have listened to you since your hire date on
    KNX NEWS 1070 AM.
    And with the positive news, you bring charm and wit.

20. Scheryl

October 14, 2022 at 1:06 pm

Driving Ive had to pull over….could not hold back the tears…. What will we do now. All the Best #DickHelton

21. Scheryl

October 14, 2022 at 1:06 pm

22. Charlie

October 14, 2022 at 1:08 pm

Thank you Mr Belton for all holding politician accountable during your interview with them.

23. Charlie

October 14, 2022 at 1:08 pm

24. Neda

October 14, 2022 at 1:16 pm

I listened to you every morning driving to work and today I couldn’t stop my tears. You will be missed. ❤️

25. Neda

October 14, 2022 at 1:16 pm

26. Carol C.

October 14, 2022 at 2:06 pm

I’ll miss waking up with you in the morning. Your mellifluous voice and vast wealth of knowledge were a great start to my mornings.

I know you will love being retired – especially being able to sleep in every morning. I wish you safe and happy travels and a long and joyous retirement.

27. Carol C.

October 14, 2022 at 2:06 pm

28. Sally H

October 14, 2022 at 7:30 pm

It has been my pleasure listening to you. I will miss not waking up to your voice and enlightenments on current news! Thank you for your contributions.

29. Sally H

October 14, 2022 at 7:30 pm

News Radio

Sid Rosenberg: Maria Bartiromo the Only Sunday Morning Host Worth Watching

“George Stephanopoulos is an absolute disgrace. Kristen Welker? A disgrace. I watched Margaret Brennan take apart Netanyahu yesterday. What a disgrace.”

Barrett News Media

A photo of Sid Rosenberg
(Photo: 77 WABC)

Many conservative radio hosts have decried the perceived downfall of the Sunday political affairs programs on ABC, CBS, and NBC. Sid Rosenberg has joined that camp, noting that the program hosted by Maria Bartiromo on Fox News is the only show worth watching.

Before welcoming the Fox News host to his show on 77 WABC, Sid Rosenberg mentioned that his weekend routine usually includes sampling of Face the Nation, This Week with George Stephanopoulos, and Meet the Press, but he has recently found admiration for Bartiromo’s program.

“I have my coffee and then I go to the news shows. I have to tell you — I’ve been meaning to say this for a long time. George Stephanopoulos is an absolute disgrace. Kristen Welker? A disgrace. I watched Margaret Brennan take apart (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu yesterday. What a disgrace,” Rosenberg said.

“The only show that’s worth watching on a Sunday morning — because she is far and away the best, it’s not even close — it’s Sunday Futures with Maria Bartiromo. What a spectacular show.”

News Radio

Dana Loesch: New FCC Rules On Broadcast Employee Data ‘The Fairness Doctrine Plus DEI’

“Just when you thought it couldn’t get more annoying, ta-da, it did.”

Barrett News Media

A photo of Dana Loesch
(Photo: Dana Loesch)

In a recent 3-2 vote, the FCC voted to reinstate a requirement that broadcasters collect data about the race, ethnicity, and gender of their employees. That decision was not a popular one with syndicated host Dana Loesch.

The FCC vote was split along party lines, with the commission ultimately calling the collection of data “critical” to “understand the broadcast industry workforce.”

On Friday, Dana Loesch argued that the commission was motivated to reinstitute the requirements as a way to limit speech among broadcasters.

“Of course it’s always been that, on the pretext of we’re going to make sure that there’s like fairness with all demos,” Loesch said. “That’s just so dumb. And everybody listens differently. And different groups of people and you can even just say old and young even listen differently.

“I’m telling you what this is like Fairness Doctrine plus DEI. Just when you thought it couldn’t get more annoying, ta-da, it did. It got more annoying. It’s gonna get bad. I think it’s gonna get bad and I think depending on what happens in November, it’s gonna get a lot worse.”

Loesch then said it has long been the FCC’s goal to silence and limit the reach of conservative opinions in media.

“They’ve been trying for so long to contain the success of — I don’t want to say just Republican because there are a lot of conservatives that cringe over Republican, and I’m kind of one of them — right-leaning individuals. There’s been this huge effort over the past several decades to curtail their voices online, because in the early days of radio, when radio commentary really took off, those were the people who dominated,” said Loesch.

“The left could not get off the ground. And I do suspect that one of the reasons why they could never get it off the ground is because they were so over-represented elsewhere. If people wanted to go and hear this commentary, they could turn on any network channel. They could read any newspaper, they could go see or read about anybody in Hollywood, so their leftist thought is so oversaturated it’s everywhere. But it’s not like that for people who are more conservative constitutionally minded, those expressions of thought, actually, you have to work a little bit more to get them in full.”

News Radio

Megyn Kelly: Keith Olbermann ‘A Sick Person’ For Continually Calling Out Katy Tur

“He continues to raise this story and other stories that he thinks will reflect badly on Katy Tur, who broke his heart or something. Because he is a bitter, bitter man…”

Barrett News Media

A photo of Megyn Kelly
(Photo: SiriusXM)

Former cable news host Keith Olbermann used to be romantically involved with MSNBC host Katy Tur. It’s a topic that comes up on his podcast from time to time, but that doesn’t mean Megyn Kelly is happy to hear about it.

On her SiriusXM show Friday, Kelly lambasted Olbermann for how often he brings up his former relationship with Tur.

During his Countdown podcast last week, Olbermann mentioned that in 2016, Tur asked him for help in writing about book about Donald Trump. The former cable news host then shared that he had previously re-written dozens of stories for Tur on NBCNews.com, which he called a “fireable offense”, but because no one would ever look into who actually authored the articles, they were in the clear.

However, he believed that writing a book under Tur’s name would be too noticeable, so he denied the offer.

The revelation, which isnt’ the first time Olbermann has shared the anecdote, didn’t sit well with Kelly.

“He’s such a bastard. Such a bastard,” Kelly reiterated after playing the clip of Olbermann’s story. “This isn’t the first time he’s done this to her. He continues to raise this story and other stories that he thinks will reflect badly on Katy Tur, who broke his heart or something. Because he is a bitter, bitter man, who continues to do this to his ex. Who was his live-in love, for, I think, a period of years. He’s a sick person.”

Kelly concluded her discussion about the former cable news host by saying “The moral of the story is: Do not date Keith Olbermann. For the love of God!”