Barrett News Media Summit 2024

NewsNation Sees Viewers Bump From Chris Cuomo

When Chris Cuomo was a guest on the July 26th edition of NewsNation’s “Dan Abrams Live”, it drew an audience to the tune of 187,000 viewers. While a far cry from the ratings he had gotten in his CNN days, it was more than triple the normal amount of viewership for the fledgling news channel. Cuomo’s appearance, his first in public since his CNN firing from Nov. 2021, was a prelude to his new nightly program on NewsNation.

Oct. 3rd was the launch date for “Cuomo”. and, as recently reported here on Barrett News Media, it delivered 147,000 viewers.

In the three nights that followed, “Cuomo” built upon his premiere numbers:

• Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022: 193,000 viewers; 21,000 adults 25-54
  • Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022: 174,000 viewers; 30,000 adults 25-54
  • Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022: 156,000 viewers; 30,000 adults 25-54

In its nine weeknight editions thus far (Oct. 3-7 and Oct. 10-13), “Cuomo” has averaged 152,000 viewers including 21,000 within the key 25-54 demographic, according to Nielsen Media Research. While those figures are about one-sixth of his CNN “Cuomo Prime Time” audience from the same week one year ago — an 849,000 total viewers/154,000 adults 25-54 average from Oct. 5-8, 2021 — NewsNation’s “Cuomo” more than tripled its recent former time slot occupant (a general headlines program entitled “NewsNation Prime”) among total viewers and more than doubled it in adults 25-54, comparing it to data from the weeknights of Sep. 12-30, 2022 (“NewsNation Prime” — 47,000 viewers/8,000 adults 25-54) “Cuomo” achieved a series-to-date high in 25-54 on Wednesday, Oct. 12 with 46,000 (along with 181,000 total viewers that night, its second-best-ever thus far).

Going by the “rising tide lifts all boats” analogy, the presence of “Cuomo” has also improved (for the most part) its surrounding programs in prime time. Here is how they performed from Sep. 12-30:

• On Balance with Leland Vittert (7 p.m.): 50,000 viewers; 11,000 adults 25-54
  • Dan Abrams Live (9 p.m.): 56,000 viewers; 12,000 adults 25-54
  • Banfield (10 p.m.): 49,000 viewers; 9,000 adults 25-54

And here is how they performed from Oct. 3-13, since the arrival of “Cuomo” at 8 p.m.:

• On Balance with Leland Vittert (7 p.m.): 61,000 viewers (+22%); 12,000 adults 25-54 (+9%)
  • Dan Abrams Live (9 p.m.): 86,000 viewers (+54%); 16,000 adults 25-54 (+33%)
  • Banfield (10 p.m.): 57,000 viewers (+16%); 7,000 adults 25-54 (-22%)

Not surprisingly, “Cuomo” lead-out “Dan Abrams Live” has benefitted the most; it has twice achieved above 100,000 viewers during that time (precisely, 106,000 on each Oct. 3 and Oct. 5). Even “Cuomo” lead-in “On Balance” once drew above the 100,000-viewer mark (103,000 on Oct. 13).

While NewsNation still has a long way to go to catch its long-established cable news brethren in the ratings, having “Cuomo” at night has provided the 2-year-old news outlet a positive step forward.

Cable news averages for October 3-9, 2022:

Total Day (Oct. 3-9 @ 6 a.m.-5:59 a.m.)

• Fox News Channel: 1.468 million viewers; 197,000 adults 25-54
  • MSNBC: 0.746 million viewers; 76,000 adults 25-54
  • CNN: 0.530 million viewers; 104,000 adults 25-54
  • HLN: 0.163 million viewers; 46,000 adults 25-54
  • CNBC: 0.128 million viewers; 30,000 adults 25-54
  • Fox Business Network: 0.120 million viewers; 13,000 adults 25-54
  • Newsmax: 0.117 million viewers; 13,000 adults 25-54
  • The Weather Channel: 0.106 million viewers; 21,000 adults 25-54

Prime Time (Oct. 3-8 @ 8-11 p.m.; Oct. 9 @ 7-11 p.m.)

• Fox News Channel: 2.250 million viewers; 280,000 adults 25-54
  • MSNBC: 1.211 million viewers; 110,000 adults 25-54
  • CNN: 0.631 million viewers; 136,000 adults 25-54
  • Newsmax: 0.188 million viewers; 22,000 adults 25-54
  • CNBC: 0.173 million viewers; 56,000 adults 25-54
  • HLN: 0.172 million viewers; 46,000 adults 25-54
  • The Weather Channel: 0.108 million viewers; 19,000 adults 25-54
  • NewsNation: 0.089 million viewers; 13,000 adults 25-54
  • Fox Business Network: 0.046 million viewers; 8,000 adults 25-54

Top 10 most-watched cable news programs (and the top programs of other outlets with their respective associated ranks) in total viewers:

1. The Five (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.644 million viewers

2. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Thu. 10/6/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.587 million viewers

3. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.474 million viewers

4. The Five (FOXNC, Tue. 10/4/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.463 million viewers

5. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Tue. 10/4/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.456 million viewers

6. The Five (FOXNC, Thu. 10/6/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.367 million viewers

7. The Five (FOXNC, Mon. 10/3/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.228 million viewers

8. The Five (FOXNC, Fri. 10/7/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.132 million viewers

9. Jesse Watters Primetime (FOXNC, Thu. 10/6/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.028 million viewers

10. Jesse Watters Primetime (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.010 million viewers

29. Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC, Mon. 10/3/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 2.253 million viewers

151. Erin Burnett Outfront (CNN, Tue. 10/4/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.936 million viewers

202. Real Time With Bill Maher “Episode 615” (HBO, Fri. 10/7/2022 10:01 PM, 53 min.) 0.763 million viewers

346. Last Week Tonight (HBO, Sun. 10/9/2022 11:22 PM, 35 min.) 0.495 million viewers

349. The Daily Show (CMDY, Wed. 10/5/2022 11:00 PM, 30 min.) 0.483 million viewers

378. Kudlow (FBN, Thu. 10/6/2022 4:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.405 million viewers

431. Forensic Files “Deadly Curve” (HLN, late Wed. 10/5/2022 12:00 AM, 30 min.) 0.315 million viewers

452. American Greed “American Greed 206 Chasing Tesla” (CNBC, Tue. 10/4/2022 10:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.292 million viewers

557. America’s Morning Headquarters (TWC, Mon. 10/3/2022 9:00 AM, 60 min.) 0.228 million viewers

625. Cuomo (NWSN, Tue. 10/4/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.193 million viewers

Top 10 cable news programs (and the top  programs of other outlets with their respective associated ranks) among adults 25-54:

1. The Five (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.530 million adults 25-54

2. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.505 million adults 25-54

3. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Thu. 10/6/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.496 million adults 25-54

4. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Tue. 10/4/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.480 million adults 25-54

5. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Mon. 10/3/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.445 million adults 25-54

6. Jesse Watters Primetime (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.442 million adults 25-54

7. Hannity (FOXNC, Wed. 10/5/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.425 million adults 25-54

8. The Five (FOXNC, Tue. 10/4/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.418 million adults 25-54

9. Jesse Watters Primetime (FOXNC, Tue. 10/4/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.403 million adults 25-54

10. Jesse Watters Primetime (FOXNC, Mon. 10/3/2022 7:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.389 million adults 25-54

45. Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN, Tue. 10/4/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.244 million adults 25-54

61. Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC, Mon. 10/3/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.219 million adults 25-54

78. The Daily Show (CMDY, Wed. 10/5/2022 11:00 PM, 30 min.) 0.201 million adults 25-54

121. Real Time With Bill Maher “Episode 615” (HBO, Fri. 10/7/2022 10:01 PM, 53 min.) 0.159 million adults 25-54

123. Last Week Tonight (HBO, Sun. 10/9/2022 11:22 PM, 35 min.) 0.157 million adults 25-54

234. Forensic Files “Beaten By A Hair” (HLN, late Wed. 10/5/2022 2:30 AM, 30 min.) 0.111 million adults 25-54

204. American Greed “American Greed 206 Chasing Tesla” (CNBC, Tue. 10/4/2022 10:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.120 million adults 25-54

416. America’s Morning Headquarters (TWC, Wed. 10/5/2022 9:00 AM, 60 min.) 0.070 million adults 25-54

476. Kudlow (FBN, Thu. 10/6/2022 4:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.059 million adults 25-54

725. Cuomo (NWSN, Thu. 10/6/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.030 million adults 25-54

Source: Live+Same Day data, Nielsen Media Research

8 Comments

8 Comments

1. christine gill

October 17, 2022 at 9:30 pm

I love Chris coumo plenty of people don’t know he is on TV again yet but when they find out the ratings will defo go up he is the best that’s why he was number one on cnn and he is not a disgrace he helped his family like anyone would do he proberly could have done more but his hands were tied to a limit they wrongly sacked him 💯% and when he wins his case that will prove he was right always thought don lemon was a good friend to him well that shocked me to find out he is not I only wish I could get it over here on my sky TV hopefully one day u might be able to do that well good luck and best wishes to Chris coumo and newsnation .. Chris Gill xx

• Pamela Alston

October 19, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Chris Cuomo was the best addition to CNN and prior to that the only reason I watched it was to see Anderson Cooper and after that I would change the channel but when Chris Cuomo came onboard his ratings soared and with NewsNation a station that’s not easily accessed for most people he still shot their ratings up as well. He is by far my favorite journalist/newscaster in America. If you don’t want to hear the truth don’t watch him! What he should do and what I was hoping all along is that he would start his own news station on a more accessible platform for most people. While we stream many things …NewsNation is not on Hulu or sling as we were told… Once we move into our new home and install cable we will have access to it all but right now that’s our excuse. Love him and his entire family!

2. Linda Krantz

October 18, 2022 at 1:25 am

When I found out Chris Coumo moved to NewsNation I put it on my calendar and have been watching his new show. I actually like the format better than his CNN show. I like that he is following up on stories that are no longer in the news. Nobody else is doing this . I was appalled what is going on in Miami at the condo that collapsed 16 months ago. Once people find out what channel he is on, his viewership will keep increasing. I like that viewers can call in. Keep up good work!

3. Jo Galvan Nash

October 18, 2022 at 1:53 am

I just watched a taped interview by Cuomo with Ye. I applaud Cuomo and found it refreshing to listen in. (Ye was ridiculous but Chris still has the “it” factor as a journalist.) Now I’ve got to find how and where to watch NewsNation. Cuomo is awesome!

4. Elsa P Hoderlein

October 18, 2022 at 6:13 pm

Happy to have Cris Cuomo back on the news.
    Have followed him for many years and will keep following him❤️❤️❤️

5. Shelley Berg

October 20, 2022 at 1:05 am

I am so glad to know that Chris Cuomo is back on the news, this time at News Nation! I have been watching him for years on CNN, and my after-work new fix has never been the same, since Chris has left the show. He is incredibly intelligent, articulate, entertaining, tenacious, and is great with bringing all sides to an issue into the spotlight for discussion and debate. A very well-read man. He is a huge asset, now to News Nation, for his ability to ‘hear what is not being said,’ on various issues. His journalistic depth, speed, and legal acumen are bar none.

6. Tess Jenkins

October 20, 2022 at 9:27 pm

My husband and I watched chris coumo everyday when he was in cnn . Now we are watching him in newsnation . We are so glad ! . Yes ! He is awesome .

7. Sam Hill

October 30, 2022 at 1:23 pm

Chris is a sad excuse for a tv news person. He should be going to jail for covering up for his disgraced brother who not only is a pervert but single handley sent hundreds of seniors to their untimely deaths during covid.

He is a disgrace and so is news nation.

Michael Berry Doesn’t Want to Be All Serious All the Time

“I get to entertain everyday and people come and listen to me. That really — more than anything else — is the thrill.”

Garrett Searight

A photo of Michael Berry

There are plenty of nationally syndicated radio shows that began as local shows. Not many hosts, however, have both a local radio show and a nationally syndicated show each weekday. But Michael Berry isn’t your average radio talk show host.

In addition to hosting a local show on NewsRadio 740 KTRH, Berry hosts The Michael Berry Show on more than 40 stations throughout the nation. And he believes having a local show in his hometown market — Houston — while still getting to talk about national topics on his afternoon show is the ideal situation for him.

“It lets me sort of keep my hand in two very different pies and do two very different shows. And that fulfills me,” Berry said. “I wouldn’t want to do just one or just the other. And I think part of it — I was the Mayor Pro Tem of the city of Houston, so I got very involved and very entrenched in the political world. I know a lot of the restaurant owners, I know a lot of business owners, and I really enjoy making the fourth-largest city into a tiny town for our listeners.

“But I also want to be able to talk to a national audience on a national level. I get to do both of those. I think that’s ideal for me.”

Michael Berry served on the City Council in Houston from 2002-2008, which gives him a unique perspective about both local and national politics that many others in the format don’t have.

“I think the experience of how bills are made and the backroom deals and how they’re done, I think that informs my opinions in a way that if you haven’t done that, it makes it harder to understand,” said Berry. “Also the blocking and tackling of how you get bills passed and how you win elections and those sorts of things.

“It just gives you that experience and it also helps you understand when a politician or an elected official says something that seems to go against what he believes or what he promised. You have a better sense of ‘Ok, who did he sell out to? Why did he do that? Where is the pressure point?’

“Because I think listeners want to understand not just why is Mitch McConnell doing something that feels like it’s against what the base is doing. The better question is, what’s the pressure point? What’s driving him? Who’s pushing him into that corner? And I think when you’re in the process, you get a very good sense of that.”

One could refer to Michael Berry as an almost new-age news/talk host. While one of the large criticisms of conservative talk radio today is the vitriol and anger most hosts present on the air, Berry is often presenting the opposite. Oftentimes, his show isn’t centered on conservative political viewpoints at all. A constant presentation of hope, admiration, and excitement not just about politics but about culture and the conservative lifestyle is the backbone of Berry’s program.

And while he has an affinity for those inside the conservative talk radio format, he simply believes he’s filling a different, virtually unoccupied, lane.

“There are some brilliant people out there on the radio. Sean Hannity has access to every elected official. Clay (Travis) and Buck (Sexton) are getting access to anybody they want as a guest. Mark Levin is a brilliant mind, a brilliant legal mind. (Glenn) Beck has a great perspective from decades of experience. Dan Bongino’s a really smart guy. There’s some really, really clever, smart, experienced broadcasters. I don’t need to be a lighter version of them, which is all I could ever hope to be. I want to be who I am,” admitted Berry.

“And I don’t see myself as competing with them. I wouldn’t want to. They’re all wonderful. We can all coexist, but I don’t want to watch the same show 24 hours a day. I want to create content that is different than other people are doing,” Berry continued. “Not because I’m better or they’re not good, but because I don’t think I can do it as well as they can. So I want to do what I do well.”

Michael Berry free admits he’d get bored simply sticking to the conservative political script for two separate shows each day. That’s why weaving other topics into his program continues to excite him.

“If all you do is what I call angry, old white man radio, you can’t build an audience and you can’t keep an audience. And the reason is that it becomes tedious. It becomes a chore to listen to. And everybody has heard that type of program that never laughs at anything and especially not that itself. We want to make people laugh. We want to talk about real life things, as well. We don’t have to talk politics 24/7.

“When I think about the influence in this country, on the culture, comedians have always had such an influence. The reason is that when you’re laughing, you’re thinking, and you’re engaging and you’re building your bond. I think that one of the great barriers to success in radio and success for the conservative movement is the inability to bond on the deeper level of let’s share a laugh.

“I think there is a great joy when I find that I’m making a point that I consider to be important, and yet in the middle of it, we can all laugh.”

Ultimately, Michael Berry doesn’t view his role in talk radio as a political pontificator, conservative advocate, or a preacher from behind the Republican pulpit. He views his craft from a completely different angle.

“I view myself as an entertainer. The hardcore conservative listeners don’t like me to say that because that means you must not mean what you say, or you’re not serious. I mean every word I say. And I’m very serious,” Berry stated. “But I’m serious in the way Dave Chappelle is serious. And make no mistake, Dave Chappelle is having a huge influence in America today on how we view the First Amendment or the concepts of freedom of thought…the reason is, is because he’s dead serious while making you laugh.

“When I was really deciding that this was a career I wanted to pursue…I went and studied stand-up comics, because I felt like that was the place. Otherwise, I would just mimic the guys that were already successful, and I didn’t want to do that,” Berry continued. “I felt dishonest about that.

“So what I did, instead, is I went and studied comedians, and delivery and how you engage an audience and how you hold an audience and how you make a point without beating the audience over the head with it. And how you go from point to point, how you pivot, how you make it fun. A lot of these are sort of back porch conversation tricks, you know, parlor games of, of how we keep a conversation going except it’s a one one man conversation without it feeling like I’m lecturing you.”

During our conversation, Michael Berry admitted he can hear hosts around the country who have lost the will to create compelling content, who say things they don’t believe, and are no longer in love with the format that once enticed them to join the industry.

However, he’s made a vow to never lose the excitement that comes with working in a format he still thoroughly enjoys.

“I view it as I get to wake up every day excited to go to the studio. My dad worked for 40 years at a plant in the maintenance unit and he hated every day of it. But he had all us kids to take care of. I get to entertain every day and people come and listen to me,” he shared. “That really, more than anything else, that is the thrill. I know that sounds hokey, but it’s true.

“I think that most people probably don’t love what they do…I’m a megalomaniac. We all have to be to have the audacity to think that you can talk every day and people want to hear you, but I love it. It’s a thrill. I love to talk and I love to create stories and I love to create entertainment and create content. And when I hear from people that in some way they enjoyed it. It’s more rewarding than you can imagine, in the way that it would be for a pastor, or a comedian, or a songwriter, or a singer. It is incredibly rewarding.

“We live in an abundance of riches when it comes to content…but for them to choose to come and say I’m gonna let you entertain me,” Michael Berry concluded. “That is the ultimate compliment.”

Do Radio Hosts Actually Care About What They’re Talking About?

A photo of a radio studio

If you don’t care, why should anyone else care about what you do?

That’s one reason why I didn’t watch the NBA All-Star Game Sunday night. You don’t get a 211-186 final if anyone is remotely making any effort at all. It’s an extended version of the pre-game warmup. Everyone’s throwing up threes with no defense. They might as well break into a layup drill. Nobody wants to get injured in a meaningless game. I’ve endured a lot of All-Star games among the major sports leagues, and I stopped bothering to watch years ago. I haven’t missed much.

That translates to other realms as well. This column focuses on the media, so if you’re, say, a talk radio host, you should be asking yourself whether you really care about what you’re talking about. That’s the threshold question: Do you care? Because if you don’t, are you really going to put in the effort to make the topic entertaining so that other people – your listeners – care enough to listen and stay with you for the whole segment?

So many shows do topics because they feel like they have to. Maybe the topic’s trending. Maybe it’s leading the news. But if you don’t care, listeners will notice. And “I don’t care about it” isn’t a particularly compelling talk radio topic, is it?

It’s easier for local sports talk – it’s a given that whatever you’re ranting about and whatever take you have, listeners care because, well, who listens to sports radio and doesn’t care about what’s going on (All-Star Games notwithstanding)?

News organizations, on the other hand, have a different goal: If it’s news that on the surface is dry and boring but still matters, it’s the reporters’ and editors’ job to explain why a viewer or reader should care. Ukraine or Gaza might seem remote to a lot of people, but their importance to a typical U.S. citizen can’t be understated, and it’s important (and often forgotten) to emphasize why they matter and what impact they have on everyone.

The simple fact is that the energy you project on anything you talk about or report upon is a reflection of what you have invested in the story. You can fake enthusiasm, but if you just truly don’t care about Taylor and Travis, you’ll just be going through the motions and that’s what the audience perceives.

On the other hand, if you’ve invested a lot of time digging into an arcane financial story and you know that what seems like a remote, inscrutable radio topic may have profound consequences for many consumers, emphasize that and make clear why the viewer or reader should care, and do it right out of the gate to grab their attention.

Here, a digression: Why do they even bother with the actual All-Star Game anymore? Take the NBA All-Star Weekend: Nobody will remember anything about the game (other than that one team scored over 200 points) but everyone will remember the Steph Curry-Sabrina Ionescu shootout. They may remember Mac McClung’s repeat dunk contest win or the celebrity game or Rising Stars games.

Why not just do the skills and challenges, which are usually entertaining, and skip the All-Star Game itself, which isn’t? Maybe add some contests and honors for past greats. Most of the people who trek to the All-Star venue are there for the parties anyway. And with baseball now doing interleague play all season, none of the All-Star Games involve getting to see players who don’t normally face each other in the regular season face off. They don’t need a game nobody in it wants to play. I recognize this will never happen.

But the main takeaway here is that it’s less true that you can’t make someone care about a thing they don’t care about themselves than it is true that if you don’t care, you have zero chance making anyone else care. Your poker face isn’t that good.

Radio Was Built For Charity and Volunteer Work

Your charitable activities build a better world. Your radio show and station make a real difference.

Avatar photo

A photo of a volunteer

Art Bell once said, “We are all here for a Cosmic Blink. Use your time wisely.”  The wisest man in all of history, a fellow named Solomon said, “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.” All of us are drawn to radio for usually a basic human impulse…it is a narcissistic rage that exists in every baby. Look at me! Listen to me! My opinions are important!

Unless you are a completely narcissistic fool, you have looked in the mirror and wondered about why we are here. What is your worth in the cosmic blink? Ok, let old Uncle Peter (Yes, I went full third person) explain.

We have all been given an amazing platform. Not only to spout our beliefs, biases, and humor, but to touch our communities. Does your show have a charity? Why not? Does your station have a charity or a “Day of Action” to support local causes? The answer should be yes. Radio shows and stations raise millions of dollars to improve our society. We raise awareness of issues that create change. It is why we are here.

Before I give you some random idea starters for your show/station, let’s talk about the charities that you personally support. Do you give a portion of your income to religious, humanitarian, or conservation projects that you believe in? You should if you don’t make these donations. I don’t know what floats your boat, but I think it is important psychologically to donate to organizations that do good things in our world.

These donations allow a portion of the cosmic blink of our lives to pay it forward. Even if you don’t make a lot of money, a small donation helps you feel connected to our world. If you are particularly blessed by the fruits of your hard work, make that donation bigger. Investing in the charities and religious organizations of our choice gives us significance. Instead of the narcissistic screaming for change, it is an action step.

Your show can unify your community through service. There was a movement that is still going on today by some churches that take a Sunday off from a religious service to spend their day serving their communities. This can be painting an elderly widow’s home, cleaning a park, feeding the homeless, or other things. If you speak to homeless shelters, lots of people want to volunteer on Thanksgiving morning, but not so much in the middle of February.

So how about a day of service for your radio show? Reach out to a local charity that needs volunteers and make it an all-day affair. Perhaps you can do your show from the homeless shelter. Interview the people who serve the downtrodden every day or interview listeners who donated their day with you? Make it big and use your platform to make someone’s life better.

For those of you who have been doing radio for a decade or less, I have had listeners reach out to me about something that I said on the air 25 years ago. It’s very humbling. Every day you get on the air trying to perform. Heck, have you ever wanted to scream “Is anyone listening?” I have. I had someone reach out to me on Twitter to share a moment that meant so much to him. When those moments happen, I thank them for listening and what an honor it was to impact their memories in such a way. You are making a difference for people every day.

Your station may broadcast a big charitable event each year. Be involved in every aspect of the planning process. Buy in 100%. When you take full ownership of the station event, your interest will take this fundraiser to the next level. Talk about a way to build goodwill in the community.

Do you want to create an unbreakable bond? Help a local charity. You will go viral. Take selfies with all of the volunteers and organizers. Put this on your social media. Make it big. Do something that makes a difference. Go to their events and volunteer to do anything. Likely, you will be an emcee, but, if they want you to wrap presents, shovel up some stuff do it. Be a servant.

In our post-COVID world, I keep reading about disconnection. Civic groups and religious organizations are experiencing a crisis of participation. This is terrible. Our society’s drift into solitude is damaging. Census figures show that the average household size in the USA is about 2.5 people. This means there are a lot of people sitting in a home or apartment alone. These people are disconnected from society. They go to work, go home, and live their solitary life online. Humans are not built for this. Your radio show is a connection for them. By the way: Your community’s average age is probably around 37 years. Think of this. You are a lynchpin for building community. Your station’s charitable events help people belong to something greater than themselves.

You are an influencer. Be a leader. Build a community. Create belonging.