Barrett News Media Summit 2024

CNN No Longer Relying On Sunday Nights For Ratings Growth

A photo of the CNN logo

Since the Warner Bros.-Discovery merger became finalized earlier this year, much restructuring and downsizing has occurred throughout the company, including at CNN.

In late October, CNN CEO Chris Licht announced their “long-term plan will no longer rely on commissioned projects with outside partners.”

A scaling back of original projects is an about-face from the programming strategy of the past decade implemented by former CNN president Jeff Zucker. Among their past notable original programs were the documentaries Blackfish (2013), and John Lewis: Good Trouble (2020) and series like Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and United Shades of America.

Sunday nights have been a destination for most of these original shows, including the recent runs of the seven-part docuseries The Murdochs: Empire of Influence and the second season of Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy.

The Murdochs, which premiered on Sep. 25 and concluded Oct. 30, averaged 428,000 total viewers including 72,000 within the key 25-54 demographic for its seven original telecasts, according to Live plus Same Day data from Nielsen Media Research.

Fox News Channel, the outlet helmed by the Murdoch family, was still more viewed than the documentary. FNC’s competing programs during that period in the same slots Murdochs had aired, which included The Next Revolution and The Big Midterms Show as well as a rebroadcast of their Sunday early evening show Sunday Night in America, drew 953,000 total viewers and 107,000 adults 25-54.

CNN’s six-part Princess Diana documentary Diana from one year ago (Oct. 10-Nov. 14, 2021) also outdrew Murdochs; it delivered 764,000 viewers and 129,000 adults 25-54. Both Diana (+35%) and Murdochs (+29%, thru Oct. 23) achieved similar percentage lifts in Live + Seven Day viewership, via DVR and on demand platforms.

Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy is one of CNN’s most popular shows and stepped in as the network’s global tourism show following the abrupt end of Parts Unknown due to the death of Anthony Bourdain.  Its inaugural season was a ratings hit: original telecasts averaged 1.45 million viewers and 309,000 adults 25-54 from Feb. 14-Mar. 21, 2021.

Its current second season has not been as potent, although faring better than its Murdochs lead-out: from May 1 thru Oct. 30, 758,000 viewers including 137,000 adults 25-54 — down 48 percent and 56 percent, respectively.

The cause of those declines pertain to the network itself and the surrounding various news cycles. The winter and early spring of 2021 featured some of CNN’s most-watched weeks in its history, with the Capitol insurrection, the Biden inauguration, Trump’s second Impeachment trial and the midst of the COVID pandemic while the first vaccines were implemented. In that brief era, CNN had ruled all of cable.

But now, despite the lead-up to the 2022 midterm elections, CNN has not attracted nearly as much interest (as indicated from the weekly averages listed below), and for a while, has relegated back to third-place cable news status in total viewers and a distant runner-up to Fox News in adults 25-54.

One slight non-negative CNN tidbit: Since returning for its recent episode run on Oct. 9, Searching for Italy has relatively matched its time slot competitor, FNC’s The Next Revolution based on adults 25-54 (Sundays from Oct. 9-30: Italy 115,000, Revolution 114,000).

Nonetheless, FNC’s Sunday 9 p.m. program easily bested Tucci in Live+Same Day viewers (1.19 million vs. 663,000).

As an aside, factoring the Live+7 figures for Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy, its total audience substantially jumped 73 percent to 1.16 million per episode, as of Oct. 23.

NewsNation achieved some ratings milestones during the week ending Oct. 30. The nascent news outlet surpassed the 100,000-viewer average mark in prime time, all due to its most-watched exclusive event of its brief history: the Pennsylvania U.S. Senate debate between Democratic incumbent John Fetterman and Republican challenger and former daytime talk show host Dr. Mehmet Oz from Tuesday, Oct. 25 (figures listed in the rankings below). The post-debate analysis took place on Cuomo, lifting the already No. 1 show on the network to its biggest total viewers yet, with 214,000 viewers.

Cable news averages for October 24-30, 2022:

Total Day (Oct. 24-30 @ 6 a.m.-5:59 a.m.)

• Fox News Channel: 1.625 million viewers; 225,000 adults 25-54
  • MSNBC: 0.705 million viewers; 76,000 adults 25-54
  • CNN: 0.468 million viewers; 91,000 adults 25-54
  • HLN: 0.158 million viewers; 41,000 adults 25-54
  • Fox Business Network: 0.129 million viewers; 15,000 adults 25-54
  • CNBC: 0.126 million viewers; 28,000 adults 25-54
  • Newsmax: 0.113 million viewers; 12,000 adults 25-54
  • The Weather Channel: 0.083 million viewers; 16,000 adults 25-54

Prime Time (Oct. 24-29 @ 8-11 p.m.; Oct. 30 @ 7-11 p.m.)

• Fox News Channel: 2.557 million viewers; 329,000 adults 25-54
  • MSNBC: 1.056 million viewers; 104,000 adults 25-54
  • CNN: 0.557 million viewers; 110,000 adults 25-54
  • CNBC: 0.177 million viewers; 57,000 adults 25-54
  • HLN: 0.174 million viewers; 41,000 adults 25-54
  • Newsmax: 0.144 million viewers; 11,000 adults 25-54
  • NewsNation: 0.110 million viewers; 20,000 adults 25-54
  • The Weather Channel: 0.090 million viewers; 15,000 adults 25-54
  • Fox Business Network: 0.064 million viewers; 10,000 adults 25-54

Top 10 most-watched cable news programs (and the top programs of other outlets with their respective associated ranks) in total viewers:

1. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.875 million viewers

2. The Five (FOXNC, Mon. 10/24/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.749 million viewers

3. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Thu. 10/27/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.703 million viewers

4. The Five (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.697 million viewers

5. The Five (FOXNC, Tue. 10/25/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.651 million viewers

6. The Five (FOXNC, Fri. 10/28/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.589 million viewers

7. Hannity (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.495 million viewers

8. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Tue. 10/25/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.474 million viewers

9. The Five (FOXNC, Thu. 10/27/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.467 million viewers

10. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Mon. 10/24/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 3.395 million viewers

34. Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC, Mon. 10/24/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 2.160 million viewers

173. Situation Room (CNN, Fri. 10/28/2022 6:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.853 million viewers

201. Real Time With Bill Maher “Episode 617” (HBO, Fri. 10/28/2022 10:00 PM, 58 min.) 0.749 million viewers

339. Debate Night: Fetterman/Oz (NWSN, Tue. 10/25/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.470 million viewers

346. The Daily Show (CMDY, Mon. 10/24/2022 11:00 PM, 30 min.) 0.461 million viewers

348. Last Week Tonight (HBO, Sun. 10/30/2022 11:04 PM, 35 min.) 0.455 million viewers

367. Kudlow (FBN, Mon. 10/24/2022 4:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.420 million viewers

388. Shark Tank “Shark Tank 1309” (CNBC, Wed. 10/26/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.356 million viewers

419. Forensic Files “Elephant Tracks” (HLN, late Thu. 10/27/2022 12:00 AM, 30 min.) 0.310 million viewers

709. America’s Morning Headquarters (TWC, Thu. 10/27/2022 9:00 AM, 60 min.) 0.161 million viewers

Top 10 cable news programs (and the top  programs of other outlets with their respective associated ranks) among adults 25-54:

1. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.556 million adults 25-54

2. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Thu. 10/27/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.550 million adults 25-54

3. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Tue. 10/25/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.519 million adults 25-54

4. Hannity (FOXNC, Thu. 10/27/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.467 million adults 25-54

5. The Five (FOXNC, Mon. 10/24/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.452 million adults 25-54

6. The Five (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 5:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.445 million adults 25-54

7. Hannity (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.433 million adults 25-54

8. Gutfeld! (FOXNC, Wed. 10/26/2022 11:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.424 million adults 25-54

9. Gutfeld! (FOXNC, Thu. 10/27/2022 11:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.421 million adults 25-54

10. Tucker Carlson Tonight (FOXNC, Mon. 10/24/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.419 million adults 25-54

77. Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC, Mon. 10/24/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.223 million adults 25-54

108. Situation Room (CNN, Fri. 10/28/2022 6:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.186 million adults 25-54

111. The Daily Show (CMDY, Tue. 10/25/2022 11:00 PM, 30 min.) 0.182 million adults 25-54

121. Last Week Tonight (HBO, Sun. 10/30/2022 11:04 PM, 35 min.) 0.166 million adults 25-54

262. Real Time With Bill Maher “Episode 617” (HBO, Fri. 10/28/2022 10:00 PM, 58 min.) 0.105 million adults 25-54

268. Forensic Files “Oily In The Morning” (HLN, late Wed. 10/26/2022 3:30 AM, 30 min.) 0.104 million adults 25-54

286. Shark Tank “Shark Tank 1309” (CNBC, Wed. 10/26/2022 9:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.099 million adults 25-54

324. Debate Night: Fetterman/Oz (NWSN, Tue. 10/25/2022 8:00 PM, 60 min.) 0.086 million adults 25-54

580. America’s Morning Headquarters (TWC, Thu. 10/27/2022 9:00 AM, 60 min.) 0.042 million adults 25-54

595. Varney & Company (FBN, Tue. 10/25/2022 10:00 AM, 60 min.) 0.041 million adults 25-54

Source: Live+Same Day data, Nielsen Media Research

Click to comment

In News/Talk Radio, Sometimes It’s Ok to Break the Format

Sometimes, it’s ok to skip a break or two if the content is so compelling that you know your listeners can’t get enough.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. As hosts, we spend hours preparing for our radio shows. Reading, listening, and consuming news of all kinds. Putting together a road map for every program. Figuring out where potential guests might fit into each hour, if at all. It’s a daily puzzle, but occasionally we have reminders that plans can, and should, go up in flames when appropriate.

Last week was a week of chaos in Kansas City, as one woman was killed and nearly two dozen injured, including one dozen children, following a shooting shortly after the Chiefs Super Bowl parade wrapped up in front of Union Station.

As broadcasters, we are asked to give the facts to update the public on a minute-by-minute basis as to what is happening in their community, but then, as talk show hosts, we are also required to opine and create engaging content around the tragic news that impacts our communities.

It’s a fine line to walk, at times, especially considering the amount of misinformation that can rapidly circulate on social media, with far too much attention being given to being “first” rather than being “right”.

And while we are working to navigate news that is constantly changing, when there’s a moment to “break the clock”, so to speak, it’s worth doing.

Friday morning, 36 hours after the shooting, FS1’s Nick Wright offered to come on my show to debate gun control, which he had been advocating for on his platforms since Wednesday afternoon.

I had used my social media to refute many of his points, which led to his suggestion that he join my show that morning and debate on the air. The entire backstory was written about here on Barrett News Media

This came together 30 minutes before he appeared on the air. And there goes the show plans.

The conversation began at 8:05 am, and I thought to myself, if this is going well, I will keep him through a break and wrap around to the bottom of the hour.

It became apparent in the first 60 seconds that this was not going to be a hold-over conversation and that it was going to be intense. At that point, I decided to let the conversation ride as long as it felt like it was engaging content for the audience.

That meant three breaks and the news reports had to go. Don’t worry, sales staff, we made it all up!

But I also did something I usually don’t do, I monitored our KCMO Talk Radio stream in real-time, which was jumping 15-20% each quarter hour as the conversation continued.

As for the content of the conversation, you can listen to that on our podcast and determine for yourself how you feel it went (and I’d be open to your critical feedback).

But from a radio formatics standpoint, there are times, albeit very infrequently, when breaking the clock and the format of the hour makes sense. It has to be a feel, as much as anything else, but remember, with real-time streaming numbers that you should have access to, you can use the immediate technology available to you to at least get one data point that might clue you into if your gut is right.

In the meantime, keep hitting your breaks, getting your spots in on time, and playing by the PPM-friendly rules. Your GM, sales manager, and program director will appreciate it.

Saluting Black Broadcasters: Arthel Neville, Fox News

“Black History Month is a time to focus and remember that we should embrace commonalities. We have more in common than not as a human race.”

A photo of Arthel Neville

True to herself and true to the truth, Arthel Neville has graced TV screens for over 20 years. From hosting entertainment news, to acting, and for the last 10 years anchoring at Fox News, Neville said her successful career is thanks to, “A lot of hard work and it worked out and paid off.”

Growing up in New Orleans, music and celebrities we a part of Neville’s life, thanks to her famous musician father, Art Neville. Despite the fame, the Neville’s kept home life humble. “He was always daddy. He’d come home, he’d help me with my homework in the daytime because his work was at nighttime. He helped clean the house and mow the lawn and just regular stuff.” She later added, “I was always exposed to celebrities and people who had not your standard jobs, if you will. But I was always raised to just be humble, and it always just normal to me. So that was no different than if your dad went to work at a bank every day.”

After high school, Arthel Neville went to Xavier University, where she turned pre-pharmacy and made the Dean’s list. But while she was in school, “I was doing some local commercials in New Orleans. I got a regional, commercial for Burger King at the time. In my first year of college, I took a gap year.”

Neville went to New York and stayed with her dad’s friends and gave acting a full-time shot.

“I went up there and did the cattle calls like everybody else but I also got an opportunity to work on Saturday Night Live as an extra,” Neville said. She also appeared on All My Children but after 12 months, “I knew my mom told me, ‘You have one year and you have to go back to college.’ So I said alright. I didn’t get this really major part in the soap opera and then I knew that was time to go.”

Transferring schools, Arthel Neville landed at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. She picked the school because “At the time Dallas had a major production facility complex. So I could work to help pay for my college.” She put together a tape and a colleague connected her with a KVUE Executive Producer.

KVUE hired Neville and she transferred to the University of Texas. For two and a half years, she went to school and worked as a full-time student and full-time general assignment reporter. Neville said of the time, “I would go to class from 8 AM to 1 PM and then I go to work from 1:30 PM to 10:30 PM.” She later added, “My days off at the time were Tuesday and Wednesday because, you know, low man on the totem pole then. So you see this cycle of just nonstop working and working and rarely I would get a holiday off my vacation time.”

Neville did the market climb until she got her national break  as an entertainment reporter on E! “I had my own celebrity one-on-one celebrity interview show for E!. This was before everybody and their grandmother was doing celebrity interviews. So it was a really big deal and it was a 30-minute show. So again, that was a big deal.” She later added,  “I’m still very, very proud of that work to this day. Really quality work. So once you get on that plane, offers start to come in. You get a lot of attention.”

Arthel Neville made appearances on several shows including The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Moesha, and Monk. She noted, “You’re a celebrity at that point and then they call you in and word got around that I can act. So I kept getting the calls and I had a lot of fun doing that. I loved it, really a lot of fun.” She added, “After a while, I decided to leave the entertainment space and get back into hard news because I figured that that is what would provide the most longevity.”

Over the years, Neville has covered thousands of stories. But the most meaningful to her is her work after Hurricane Katrina.

“As a journalist, the story is not about us. When that story was about me, that was personal. That was my hometown ravaged and that was we lost. We lost a collective of ten family homes. I will say no one [in my family] died in this storm, thank God.”

Arthel Neville later added, “I mean, there are times when I’m out there just in a boat going to my house, I’m going to break down because I’m a person. Even writing the story had a lot of crying. I did [cry] some on camera because I’m not trying to make it about me, but I’m also a person. But mostly off-camera. That was the most difficult assignment of my life because it was personal.”

Arthel Neville has made history several times in the industry. At E!, she became the first African-American woman to host a nationally syndicated entertainment news magazine program. More recently being awarded the DeWitt Carter Reddick award from Moody College of Communications in 2017, their first African American female honoree.

When asked what Black History Month meant to her she focused less on race and more on what commonalities we, the human race, have.

“I am a Black woman 12 months of the year, 365 days of the year. So Black History Month is nice for other people who don’t walk my path and live my life to maybe stop, and focus on people who have created created a pathway not just for me, but for you and everybody else. It’s not just for Black people. People who have come in before us, who have made things better for the country.”

She later added, “Black History Month is a time to focus and remember that we should embrace commonalities. We have more in common than not as a human race. So stop it with the looking at people from the perspective you think they’re different from you because they look different. We’re all human beings and let’s take that. Take this month to focus on that. Love each other.”

Radio — The Communication Business Where We Don’t Communicate

Corporate policies are cold and rigid.

Avatar photo

A photo of a radio host in a dark studio

When I was a radio program director in the 1970s and 80s personally responding to job applicants was an important part of every work day. Nobody told me to do it, it was just obvious. Replying to letters from people who mailed me their personal introductions, resumes, and airchecks was as important to me as if they had made an appointment and were seated in my office, freshly scrubbed, smiling with hope, and making their best first impression.

Every afternoon I read their letters and resumes. I listened attentively to their carefully packaged tapes as if mining for a rare gem, which I was. I wrote encouraging letters to them whether I had a possible job for them or not. I took unexpected phone calls from job applicants.

Why wouldn’t I? These were passionate broadcasters offering their unique, hard-earned experience. They respected our station and were excited for an opportunity to join us. Besides, I’d been in their position myself and would be again. These hopeful young talents deserved my attention. To me, as a program manager, it was my primary responsibility.

None of this happens anymore. Radio job seekers today have to run a gauntlet of dehumanizing corporate job websites. When you’ve filled in all the blanks and linked the resume you spent hours perfecting you hold your breath and click “submit”. You did it! The website immediately gives you the impersonal assurance that your application has been received. You wonder if that’s true. You may never really know.

Bob Helbig is the media partnerships director at Energage, a Philadelphia-based employee survey firm. He recently found that while 60% of employers surveyed said they felt they regularly communicated with applicants, only 28% of job seekers said they felt the communication was sufficient.

Corporate policies are cold and rigid. I recently talked with a major market talk radio program director who asked to remain anonymous, which in itself tells the tale. He told me he’s not even allowed to take word-of-mouth recommendations for new hires. Email and phone inquiries are out of the question. When somebody tells him, “Hey, I know a great reporter you should talk to,” all he can reply is, “Please tell them to apply online.” The most he can do is file a name in his memory and hope it pops up in the HR-approved list of candidates.

Back in the day, I would have phoned that reporter and invited him or her to come in and talk.

As a job applicant, you know you face strong competition. All the career websites offer volumes of advice about how to prepare a strong resume to stand out from the crowd. You’ve done that. You plug it into the web portal, hoping to make an impression. You count the days since you submitted your application and check your email many times daily hoping for an encouraging reply from a real human, maybe even from the big-name program director who holds the key to your future.

Patience. You have to wait still longer.

After a few days, you wonder if a real person has even seen your application or if the algorithm is just weeding people out. Yes, indeed it is.

Artificial Intelligence now entering the process might speed things up a bit but it won’t help your need for human contact. God forbid AI takes over the screening process entirely but you can’t rule that out.

Nobody writes or calls even to say, “Thanks for your interest, we’ll get back to you.” You’re left to wonder if your love of radio, your hard work, and your beautifully written pitch even landed before a real person’s eyes.

The worst part is knowing that hearing nothing is nothing personal.

Jeff Altman is a career coach and host of the No BS Job Search Advice Radio podcast. He told Forbes, “The hiring process has been turned into sausage-making. People apply for jobs through an applicant tracking system where they are expected to homogenize their experience so they are plucked from the thousands of others. They are asked the same questions by most employers until, eventually, they are chosen and onboarded.”

How did we get to this complex and impersonal process? Laws, of course. Federal and state mandates to prevent any form of discrimination in hiring practices are good things but they don’t allow for human integrity and discretion. They’re ironclad. The difficulty for HR departments lies in making sure that the rules are followed to the letter by management employees who are not lawyers. The list of federal regulations alone is long and daunting.

“For instance, you can’t ask questions that reveal a person’s race, gender, religion, marital status, disabilities, ethnic background, country of origin, or age on an application or during an interview. This information could lead to biases and discrimination in the hiring process.”

Those restrictions are fairly obvious these days but they’re just the tip of a large iceberg, most of which is hidden below the surface and beyond the limits of what program directors, news directors, sales, and other radio managers are expected to know. So, yes, the software is asking only legally acceptable questions before any live interviews can take place.

I really hate being the “back in my day” old fart but my god, is there no way we can allow a young person to walk into a radio station with stars in her or his eyes, and talk to somebody about their future?

Must we expect job applicants of the 21st Century to understand that’s just the way things are or could the process be massaged a bit to keep them hopeful and feeling less like a piece of uninspected data?

Would it be so hard to send job applicants a pleasant and somewhat personal email along the lines of: “Hi, Mark. I’m in the H.R. Department at BigTime Media and I want to thank you for your application for our on-air opening at News/Talk 95.3 WTF. I will call or text you when your qualifications have been reviewed and let you know whether you can expect a follow-up live interview with somebody at the station. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. – Sincerely, Mary Sunbeam, BigTime Media”.

Sure, it’s another form letter but at least it addresses the applicant by name, refers to the specific station, and gives them a sense of humanity and hope for future contact. Assigning applicants to a real-life personal H.R. staff member like Mary Sunbeam might require a little more effort but it would be an enormous boost to the company’s reputation.

There might be other ways to go about it. The point is people need to feel their applications are worthwhile and accepted with some degree of sincere gratitude.

The ugly irony is we’re in radio, yet we talk to people, not with them.