Keith Olbermann: Lawrence O’Donnell Tried To Have Me Fired at MSNBC
“I have to admit, even now, of all the things I went through at that very, very strange place, MSNBC, even now, this story still shocks me.”
Podcaster Keith Olbermann said Monday that MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell tried to take his job as host of Countdown while he was caring for his dying father. Olbermann made the comments on his Countdown with Keith Olbermann podcast.
Olbermann hosted the TV show from 2003-2011. According to Rolling Stone, Olbermann was suspended by the network in 2010 after donating money to three Democratic candidates for Congress. He reportedly agreed to part ways with the network many months after that, but speculation still abounds about whether he was fired.
Olbermann said he took a week or two off following his father’s death in 2010. Theodore Olbermann succumbed to complications from colon cancer.
“Then came the day when I went back to the office full-time and my assistant grabbed me,” Olbermann said. “Both hands on my wrist and said you did not answer my emails, for God’s sake do not ever leave me alone with Lawrence O’Donnell again. He’s a son of a bitch and he treats me, and every other person who isn’t a producer here like dirt.”
Olbermann stated that his assistant then revealed that O’Donnell was trying to get him fired from “Countdown.”
“If you think he (O’Donnell) is nuts, one of your assistant producers is in on it with him,” exclaimed Olbermann. “I have to admit, even now, of all the things I went through at that very, very strange place, MSNBC, even now, this story still shocks me.”
Olbermann said the senior producers of Countdown consisted of a guy that booked satellite transmissions for MSNBC and a former daytime guest booker.
“Another was an old friend of mine who had been blown out of ESPN in a sexual harassment lawsuit, porn link, email scandal and was headed back to college to start his career all over again until I asked that he be hired and then promoted,” said Olbermann.
Olbermann said before he could start digging for answers about why O’Donnell wanted him fired, the network announced O’Donnell’s new show called The Last Word. Olbermann said two of his senior producers followed O’Donnell to the new timeslot.
Olbermann added that the real-life saga was documented in the American TV series The Newsroom written by Aaron Sorkin.
Ryan Hedrick serves as the Assistant Program Director and Co-Host of the Morning News Express at WFMD. Prior to WFMD, he hosted an afternoon program at News Talk 103.7 FM in Chambersburg, PA. He has worked at Sirius XM in Washington D.C., WBEN in Buffalo, NY, and for stations in Baltimore, MD. He has also worked at WIBW-AM in Topeka KS, earning the Kansas Association of Broadcasters (KAB) award for Major Market enterprise reporting in 2016. To connect with Ryan, find him on Twitter @SureToCover.
Keith Olbermann: Funny How Newsmax CEO Changed His Tune About DirecTV After New Agreement
“Newsmax gave the channel for free to DirecTV and then one day Newsmax said to DirecTV ‘Look, instead of free, we’d like you to give us $13 million a year’. DirecTV said ‘Are you kidding? For that crap?'”
Earlier this week, conservative cable news channel Newsmax struck a deal with DirecTV to return the network to the satellite provider after a monthslong back and forth that see each company take shots at the other. Keith Olbermann couldn’t help but notice those shots have ceased.
“Greta Van Susteren called for a Congressional investigation. Senators Tom Cotton (R-AR), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Mike Lee (R-UT) wrote a letter threatening dire consequences and insisted this was liberal censorship,” The Countdown with Keith Olbermann host said. “DirecTV dropped Newsmax and the whiny butthurt snowflake fascists like Cruz demanded, I don’t know? Firing squads?”
The former cable news host then said it was clear during the dispute that the problem was about business, not politics.
“We all told them no, it’s not censorship, Newsmax gave its channel for free to DirecTV and then one day Newsmax said to DirecTV ‘Look, instead of free, we’d like you to give us $13 million a year’. DirecTV said ‘Are you kidding? For that crap?’ Direct TV and Newsmax have now made a deal. Terms were not disclosed, but Newsmax will be back on the satellite provider.”
Olbermann then turned his attention to Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy’s change in messaging. Previously, Ruddy — like others Olbermann had mentioned — was adamant that the network was removed due to conservative censorship.
However, now that a deal between the two parties has been struck, he believes that DirecTV “clearly supports diverse voices, including conservative ones”.
Sean Hannity: Not Surprising Media Backtracking on Donald Trump Indictment Date Predictions
“The media is now kind of trying to hint that Donald Trump’s arrest announcement was a hoax.”
Late last week, former President Donald Trump claimed he would be arrested on Tuesday. That date came and went without any indication of when — or if — Trump would be indicted. Sean Hannity wasn’t surprised by the media coverage surrounding the story.
During The Sean Hannity Show Thursday, the host claimed the media has backtracked on its reporting, but added that Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is more to blame than the media is.
“This is the funniest news aspect of the day regarding this is that you know, the media is now kind of trying to hint that Donald Trump’s arrest announcement was a hoax,” Hannity said. “Now we find out that Alvin Bragg is openly blaming Donald Trump for creating the false expectation that he would be indicted. Bragg’s direct accusation is a lot stronger than any media hinting about a Trump indictment.”
Hannity then took credit for what he viewed as a drop in the likelihood that Trump is indicted due to information released on his Fox News program.
“Now a lot of it is due to new information we got this week, some of which was broken on my television show, with my interview with Bob Costello. I think it’s devastating. A direct contradiction to a convict by the name of Michael Cohen. Admitted liar. Serial liar, you can even say, and you have this guy, Bob Costello, contradicting everything that Cohen is saying.
“Cohen is supposed to be the star witness in this case. You have a convicted felon admitted liar as your star witness. Good luck with that. Juries don’t like liars.”
101.7 The Truth Adding 2 New Shows To Weekday Lineup
“Both shows debut on April 3.”
Two new shows are coming to 101.7 The Truth. The Milwaukee talk station announced that Denise Thomas, Telly Hughes, and Melanie Ricks will be joining its weekday lineup.
Hughes and Thomas will partner for Truth Be Told. It will air weekday mornings from 7 until 9. The duo brings some serious influence to the airwaves. The Milwaukee Business Journal calls Thomas a “top 50 power broker” in the city while Hughes has two Emmy Awards to his name.
Ricks will be at the center of a one hour show called Nothing But the Truth. The show will air at noon. Ricks serves as the in-game host for the Milwaukee Bucks, who call WTMJ, a sister station of 101.7 The Truth, their radio flagship.
Both shows debut on April 3. Starting that day, the station’s daytime lineup will be as follows:
7 – 9 a.m. Truth Be Told with Denise Thomas & Telly Hughes
9 – Noon The Truth with Sherwin Hughes
Noon – 1 p.m. Nothin’ But the Truth with Melanie Ricks
1 p.m. – 4 p.m. The Tory Lowe Show
4 – 6 p.m. The Truth in the Afternoon with Ken Harris
“We’re excited to bring a new lineup of voices to our listeners,” Cherie Harris, the general manager of Good Karma Brands’ Milwaukee cluster, said in a press release. “Our new hosts are passionate and knowledgeable about the issues that matter most to the black community. We aim to provide a platform for authentic and unfiltered discussion, and we’re confident that our new lineup will deliver for our partners and fans.”