ABC News President: It’s Easy to Monday Morning Quarterback the Amy Robach, T.J. Holmes Scandal
“We ended up where we needed to be, and I’m very comfortable with that decision.”
ABC News President Kim Godwin has been a largely silent figure since she joined the company from CBS News in 2021, only giving three one-on-one interviews during her tenure.
In a rare interview with Vanity Fair, she addressed the GMA3 situation between co-anchors Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes.
The pair were embroiled in a scandal late last year after reports of an alleged extramarital affair between the pair was uncovered. Initially, Godwin decided to keep them on the air. In her estimation, neither party had broken any established policies.
However, after the duo appeared to make a joke about the situation on the air, they were removed from the show before they ultimately both exited the company earlier this year.
“It’s very easy to Monday-morning quarterback and second-guess when you don’t know what you don’t know, and frankly you’ll never know, because we’re not going to litigate it publicly,” Godwin told Vanity Fair, in what the publication called her first interview of the year. “We ended up where we needed to be, and I’m very comfortable with that decision.”
At the time of their departure, reports claimed that people on both sides were frustrated with the way things were handled by the network.
“These decisions are not easy, they are not knee-jerk, but they are necessary for the brand and for our priority which, you guys know, are all of us — the people here at ABC,” Godwin said at the time.
When pressed on if she should have done more to refute a story from New York that claimed ABC News had a “horned up” culture, Godwin said she didn’t know what happened before she joined the network, but claimed there is now a zero-tolerance policy in effect.
In spite of the scandal, Good Morning America remains the top-rated morning network news program. ABC News’ World News Tonight with David Muir is also the most-watched evening network news program.
Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity Among Fox News Hosts Listed As Potential Witnesses in Dominion Suit
The cable news outlet listed 35 potential witnesses to the court this week. Concurrently, Dominion submitted 54 names.
As preparations begin for the Dominion Voting Systems defamation lawsuit against Fox News, each side has prepared a list of potential witnesses to testify at the trial.
Dominion Voting Systems has accused Fox of purposefully airing claims about the 2020 presidential election that it knew to be false, while the network has countered by accusing the election machine company of using the media to create narratives surrounding the case that are untrue.
The cable news outlet listed 35 potential witnesses to the court this week. Concurrently, Dominion submitted 54 names, including Fox Corp. founder Rupert Murdoch, and his son, CEO Lachlan Murdoch, as well as Fox Corp. board of directors member Paul Ryan.
Former Fox News personnel, including Bill Sammon and Chris Stirewalt — who both exited the company after the 2020 election — were listed as potential witnesses by Dominion, as was recently fired producer Abby Grossberg. Grossberg sued the network after alleging that Fox News intimidated her to lie during her deposition. She was subsequently fired last week. Fox News contends Grossberg’s characterization is inaccurate.
Hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Bret Baier, Laura Ingraham, and Maria Bartiromo were also listed by Dominion as witnesses they’d like to see testify under oath.
Fox News was open to putting some of the hosts on the stand, as well as CEO Suzanne Scott and company President Jay Wallace.
A network spokesperson called the list presented by Dominion “needlessly expansive”, adding that it is “yet another attempt to generate headlines and distract from the many shortcomings of its case. Ultimately, this case is about the First Amendment protections of the media’s absolute right to cover the news.”
The trial is currently scheduled to begin on Monday, April 17th.
Bill O’Reilly: Axios Ignored Realities Of Mass Shootings in Story
“Axios disappears and doesn’t give you the real story.”
During an appearance on NewsNation’s “Cuomo” on Tuesday evening, Bill O’Reilly, a syndicated radio host and columnist expressed his belief that the media is responsible for educating the public on the specific reasons behind mass shootings. O’Reilly made these comments following a tragic incident in which six individuals, including three nine-year-old children, were killed by a mass shooter at a private school in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday.
According to O’Reilly, an article published on Axios, a website that he perceives to be left-leaning, stated that 57 Americans lost their lives, and 133 were injured due to mass shootings in March. However, O’Reilly claims that Axios failed to provide accurate statistics.
“Axios disappears and doesn’t give you the real story. Only two incidents of mass shootings involve mentally ill people. Two people out of 58,” he said. “Thugs did 56 other mass shootings, mostly in the inner cities, which were done by drive-by drug gangs. They (Axios) ignored that. That’s where the federal government must step in and say if you are an American caught with a firearm in the commission of a crime, that is a federal offense. You remove it from the state and local and make it a federal crime.”
The host of “Cuomo,” Chris Cuomo, is a former CNN anchor who was let go by the network last year. O’Reilly frequently appears on the NewsNation network, and he was terminated by Fox News in 2017. To continue his career, O’Reilly established his website called “No Spin News,” which has provided him with different opportunities. “Cuomo,” hosted by Chris Cuomo, debuted on NewsNation in October of last year and airs on weekdays at 8:00 p.m.
Ryan Hedrick serves as the Assistant Program Director and Co-Host of the Morning News Express at WFMD. Prior to WFMD, he hosted an afternoon program at News Talk 103.7 FM in Chambersburg, PA. He has worked at Sirius XM in Washington D.C., WBEN in Buffalo, NY, and for stations in Baltimore, MD. He has also worked at WIBW-AM in Topeka KS, earning the Kansas Association of Broadcasters (KAB) award for Major Market enterprise reporting in 2016. To connect with Ryan, find him on Twitter @SureToCover.
Tomi Lahren: Will Media Ignore Nashville Shooter Due to Gender Identity?
“Will the Democrats and mainstream media acknowledge this potential factor or ignore it as it’s not politically convenient for their purposes?”
Yesterday, a 28-year-old opened fire in a Nashville elementary school, killing three adults and three children under the age of 10 before ending their own life. OutKick’s Tomi Lahren questioned if the events will be covered like other mass shootings due to the shooter’s gender identity.
The shooter was born a female, but identified as a male, and reportedly left behind documentation about their gender causing mental problems.
During her Fox News Commentary Tuesday, Lahren suggested that the media would be hesitant to cover the tragedy because it wouldn’t fit the narrative of usual school shooting suspects.
“We have yet to be given a motive but the Democrats are already screaming for gun control,” Lahren said. “But what about mental health and specifically the mental illness and body dysmorphia that is associated with trans gender-affirming propaganda? Will the Democrats and mainstream media acknowledge this potential factor or ignore it as it’s not politically convenient for their purposes?”
As of publication, the Nashville shooting is on the homepage of The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, NewsNation, and Newsmax.
Lahren suggested the mental health of young Americans has been affected by the result of policies implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic and social media usage, among other issues.