Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Television

CNN Anchor Christiane Amanpour Critical of Network’s Trump Town Hall

“I can only hope that your trust in us might have been shaken but not shattered. That you believe we can survive and rebuild that trust.”

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

A photo of Christiane Amanpour

During a recent commencement address at Columbia Journalism School, CNN anchor Christiane Amanpour publicly criticized her own network for organizing a town-hall event with Donald Trump. Amanpour expressed her disagreement with CEO Chris Licht, who had faced backlash for approving and defending the decision to hold the event.

According to The Guardian, Amanpour pointed out that Trump tends to take over and control discussions, which makes it hard for moderators to push back effectively. She said she would have ended the talk after Trump insulted the CNN moderator, Kaitlan Collins, by calling her a “nasty person.”

Despite criticism, Licht defended his decision, saying that the town hall helped viewers see how important the 2024 presidential election is.

“No matter how much flak the moderator tries to aim at the incoming, it doesn’t often work. I would have dropped the mic at ‘nasty person’, but then that’s me,” she said.

 At the event, Donald Trump called CNN moderator Kaitlan Collins a “nasty person.” This caused Republican voters in the audience to applaud and added to the energetic atmosphere. Despite the ongoing legal investigations into Trump’s alleged election subversion and incitement of the January 6 attack on Congress, Chris Licht, the CEO, has continued to support broadcasting the town hall.

According to Licht, broadcasting these events reminds viewers of the high stakes involved in the 2024 presidential election. It is worth noting that Trump has recently faced legal consequences for sexual assault and defamation against writer E. Jean Carroll. Despite this, he still remains the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination.

“I can only hope that your trust in us might have been shaken but not shattered,” said Amanpour. “That you believe we can survive and rebuild that trust.”

Amanpour is the first CNN anchor to publicly express her disagreement with the decision to host Trump, although other employees have also criticized the broadcast. In his Reliable Sources newsletter, reporter Oliver Darcy criticized his employer the morning after the town hall.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Television

FOX & Friends Host Lawrence Jones to Visit Diners to Speak with 2024 Presidential Voters

Jones will begin his Breakfast with Friends tour on Tuesday, April 23rd in suburban Grand Rapids.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Lawrence Jones and the Fox News logo
(Photo: Fox News)

FOX & Friends co-host Lawrence Jones will spend three days in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic next week asking voters about the important issues of the 2024 presidential election.

Jones will begin his Breakfast with Friends tour on Tuesday, April 23rd in suburban Grand Rapids. Other stops will include suburban Milwaukee (Wednesday) and suburban Philadelphia (Thursday).

Joining FOX & Friends on a full-time basis in September of last year, Jones will be on location during the 6-9 AM ET window, which the show has led in the cable news ratings for more than two decades.

The full schedule includes:

TUESDAY, APRIL 23
The Nest Egg Café
6101 Lake Michigan Dr, Allendale Charter Twp, MI

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24
Brunch It Up
18895 W Capitol Dr, Brookfield, WI

THURSDAY, APRIL 25
Eagle Diner
739 Street Rd, Warminster, PA

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Lawrence O’Donnell: Jesse Watters Proves ‘How Stupid You Can Be’ on Fox News

“Jesse Watters is the newest liar to occupy the 8 PM slot on Fox, the lying channel.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Lawrence O'Donnell and Jesse Watters
(Photo: MSNBC, Fox News)

Former President Donald Trump parrotted a talking point from Fox News primetime host Jesse Watters. MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell took extreme displeasure with the situation.

During the jury selection for the first trial against Trump, a juror was asked if they believed that anyone was above the law. When they said no, Watters said “I don’t know about that,” before claiming it was an attempt to “rig this jury” with “undercover liberal activists”, which Trump cited Watters for unveiling.

On The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, the MSNBC host took Watters to task for what believed was a purposely inaccurate encapsulation.

“Jesse Watters is the newest liar to occupy the 8 PM slot on Fox, the lying channel,” O’Donnell began. “The previous occupant of the 8 p.m. slot had told so many of those lies, that even Fox decided they had to let him go. And the occupant before that one (Bill O’Reilly) … lost his job only after being exposed as a grievous serial sexual harasser at Fox.

“Jesse Watters is the same person who — last week — said publicly that he believed that the minimum wage produces an income of $100,000 a year in America. That’s how stupid you can be on Fox at 8 PM, or in the case of Jesse Watters, also at 5 PM.”

O’Donnell concluded by stating that Trump simply “rewrote” the lie from the Fox News host. He added that there is no evidence of any “undercover liberal activists” attempting to get on the jury.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Dr. Jennifer Ashton Leaving ABC News to Launch New Company

Dr. Jennifer Ashton said that she received the support of ABC News President Kim Godwin and Networks Division leader Debra OConnell.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Dr. Jennifer Ashton
(Photo: Heidi Gutman | ABC)

ABC News is losing its Chief Medical Correspondent and co-host of GMA3, Dr. Jennifer Ashton.

When her contract expires in June, Ashton will leave the network to launch a new women’s wellness company, Ajenda, where she will serve as the CEO.

“Sometimes an important message needs the right messenger, and I feel like there is no more critical time in this country for women’s health, and for weight management,” Ashton told The Hollywood Reporter. “We’re facing an obesity epidemic, and menopause and perimenopause and women’s health is literally in a spotlight like never before. And I want to be the messenger for those messages.

“And so I’m excited about finally having the opportunity to just devote 100 percent of my time and effort into that, and using the skills that I’ve learned from being at the number one network for 13 years, I think are going to be really vital in that.”

Dr. Jennifer Ashton added that she received the support of ABC News President Kim Godwin and Networks Division leader Debra OConnell.

“They both said to me, ‘Is there anything we can do to change your mind?’ And when I said there really isn’t, because I really feel strongly about doing this, they basically said you know, ‘we’re going to be behind you.’ And I think that’s really unusual in this business in this day,” she said.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.