Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Radio

Dan Joseph Departs WBAL in Baltimore

“I spent five great years there and learned so much about the business.”

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

A photo of Dan Joseph
(Photo: WBAL)

Last week, WBAL News Radio underwent a major change as Dan Joseph, co-host of The Torrey and Dan Show alongside Torrey Snow, has exited. Joseph had been with the station for five years, having been hired by previous program director Scott Masteller. 

“I am sad to leave WBAL,” Joseph told Barrett News Media. “I spent five great years there and learned so much about the business. I found a passion for talk radio and met amazing people on both sides of the microphone.”  

In a recent interview with BNM, Joseph discussed his rapport with Torrey Snow. WBAL has now given Snow his own show, which will air from 2-6 p.m. 

“We agree about 60 percent of the time, maybe even about 70 percent. We have vehement disagreements about things, and that’s when the show is at its best when we have an actual debate about things,” he said. “We’re getting a lot better at not talking over each other, which has to do with timing and getting to know your co-host and their cadence.”  

The station has made several changes since Jeff Wade took over as Program Director. Late last year, Kim Klacik announced her departure from the station. WBAL hired former Baltimore City police spokesperson T.J. Smith to host a midday show in March.  

“I’m so grateful to Scott Mastellar for taking a chance on a talk show rookie,” Dan Joseph added. “That said, moving on presents a whole host of opportunities. I’m looking forward to the next adventure, wherever that may be.”     

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

  1. Jennifer Davis

    November 2, 2023 at 6:35 am

    Dan Joseph helped make the afternoon slot palatable to many people. He was fair, and when you called in he didn’t talk over you to push his points. He let you finish what you wanted to say and didn’t make you feel like you were an idiot. I can’t listen to it anymore. He will be missed.

    • Pam Prenger

      November 3, 2023 at 2:03 pm

      I agree. I’m boycotting the station. Miss him so much

    • Bofa

      November 13, 2023 at 12:58 pm

      He was an asshole. Glad he’s gone

  2. Pam prenger

    November 3, 2023 at 2:01 pm

    I agree. I’m boycotting the station altogether. Miss him so much

  3. Tracey Bowen

    November 13, 2023 at 7:59 pm

    I miss having Dan on the show, I liked hearing from both of them. Torrey can be a little boring at times.

  4. Fred Wheatley

    March 26, 2024 at 8:12 am

    He was my favorite talk show host. I will miss him. He was the reason I started to listen to WBAL. I don’t listen much anymore.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Radio

Keith Olbermann: Tucker Carlson Live Tour ‘Not a Good Business Model’

“Pay money to see Tucker Carlson live when you could see him talk endlessly on Twitter for hours on end for free?”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Keith Olbermann's podcast logo

Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson announced a nationwide tour of live shows in the run-up to the 2024 presidential election earlier this month. Keith Olbermann has one question about the venture: why?

During his Countdown podcast, Olbermann shared his belief that the endeavor from Carlson was a puzzling one.

“Pay money to see Tucker Carlson live when you could see him talk endlessly on Twitter for hours on end for free? It’s not a good business model,” said Olbermann. “Actually, it turns out to not be any kind of business model.”

He then shared a news report from Australia where Carlson will host a similar tour after being invited by United Australia Party chairman Clive Palmer as a featured guest. Tickets to see Carlson were as much as $200 to hear both men speak.

However, ticket sales were not off to a rousing success, with prices being dropped and one Australian newspaper claiming hundreds of tickets were still available in the 9,000-seat ICC Sydney Theatre.

Keith Olbermann believes there’s a specific reason Tucker Carlson is failing to sell tickets in Australia, and posited about what that could mean for his American tour.

“Why has Tucker live failed? Well, for one thing, he started as a manipulative, dishonest fascist and that was when I worked with him 20 years ago,” said Olbermann, “but he’s gone bad since then. He’s now approaching full-on psychosis.

“The other thing I forgot to mention? The special guest on the Tour de Tucker? Dinesh D’Souza will be there. Come on, give it up for Dinesh D’Souza. ‘Come on out, Dinesh and lie to the people.'”

Currently, Tucker Carlson has 10 scheduled tour dates around the United States in September in cities like Phoenix, Anaheim, Milwaukee, and Kansas City, among others. He’ll be joined by special guests like Alex Jones, Vivek Ramaswamy, Megyn Kelly, Charlie Kirk, and Donald Trump Jr. at individual stops.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Erick Erickson: CNN Deserves Credit for Granting Others Access to Debate

ABC News, PBS, and Fox News have all been announced as partners for the first debate that will be held on Thursday, June 27th.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Erick Erickson
(Photo: Erick Erickson)

Several announcements this week have revealed simulcast partners for the first presidential debate produced by CNN. Erick Erickson believes in giving credit where it’s due.

ABC News, PBS, and Fox News have all been announced as partners for the first debate that will be held on Thursday, June 27th. Additionally, Fox News struck a deal to broadcast the debate for affiliates on Fox News Radio, and also on the FOX broadcast network.

In a post to X, Erick Erickson — a former CNN contributor — shared that he believes the network deserves kudos for being willing to work with other networks to make the broadcast more accessible.

“CNN deserves a lot of credit for letting every network access and broadcast their debate,” the host shared.

A report from The Los Angeles Times claims that in addition to ABC News, PBS, and Fox News joining as simulcast partners, CNN has also struck deals with MSNBC, NBC News, NewsNation, Newsmax, Scripps News, and Telemundo have also joined to televise the 90-minute event. However, those networks have yet to announce their plans.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Bill Spadea Continuing to Host on New Jersey 101.5 During Governor Run Questioned by NJ Election Commission

“I’ve got news for everyone. We’re digging in. We’re ready to fight. We’re not going anywhere.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Bill Spadea
(Photo: Bill Spadea)

Earlier this week, New Jersey 101.5 morning host Bill Spadea announced plans to run for governor of the Garden State. He plans to continue hosting his program during the campaign, but now a state election commission will decide if he’s violating any statutes.

The New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission is investigating whether or not Spadea’s current plan — to not officially file his candidacy until the deadline to ensure he can continue hosting his morning show — violates any laws. By not registering as a candidate until the last moment, Sapdea would not — theoretically — be in violation of equal-time regulations for political advertising and candidates.

The commission informed Spadea and Townsquare Media of a hearing on Wednesday, June 26th, that will examine whether or not he and the broadcaster are in violation of the in-kind contribution limits, which are set at $5,800.

 “Leave it to the Trenton Swamp to come after the first middle-class threat to their fiefdom in decades. My opponents and their power broker pals are coming after me for one reason: they’re scared of what I stand for,” Spadea said in a statement. “The insiders are scared that when I win, the people of New Jersey will regain power – and they’ll lose theirs. I’ve got news for everyone. We’re digging in. We’re ready to fight. We’re not going anywhere.”

Townsquare Media has maintained that until Bill Spadea becomes a “legally qualified candidate” for the governor’s race, he will “continue to fulfill his employment responsibilities” on New Jersey 101.5.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement Will Cain
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.