Connect with us
BNM Summit

News Radio

Vince Coglianese: With Credibility Dwindling, Why Haven’t News Outlets Changed Their Strategies?

“They’re just like the band on the Titanic. They’re just gonna keep playing the same song as the ship goes down.“

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Vince Coglianese
(Photo: WMAL)

With news consumers continuing to lose faith in news outlets, WMAL host Vince Coglianese wonders why there hasn’t been a shift in strategy from some of the organizations that have seen dwindling audiences in recent years.

While discussing the coverage surrounding the trial of former President Donald Trump with NewsBusters Managing Editor Curtis Houck, the guest told Coglianese that NBC Nightly News has had the story as the lead 16 times. When The Vince Coglianese Show host heard that figure, he questioned why news organizations haven’t recognized the loss of credibility from their viewers.

“They’re just like the band on the Titanic. They’re just gonna keep playing the same song as the ship goes down. Why not change strategy? If I was running a news operation — if I was one of the broadcast networks, and I was watching my audience dwindle, and I was thinking of what can I do to change pace here and succeed as a business — I would think maybe start telling the truth would be a good way to do it,” said Coglianese. “Because then people would be like, ‘I have faith in that product,’ and my audience would grow. Maybe that’s an old fashioned notion.”

The criticism from Coglianese about the lack of changes from news media organizations coincides with recent reports that CNN’s primetime ratings have dropped to 30-year lows in the coveted Persons 25-54 demographic. CNN, like many other news outlets, has spent extensive time covering the court proceedings of the former President.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News Radio

Ben Shapiro: Daily Wire Forced to Paywall Portions with Dan Bongino Convo Due to YouTube Censorship Fears

The message did not accompany the podcast version of the discussion on Apple Podcasts.

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Ben Shapiro and Dan Bongino
(Photo: Daily Wire)

Ben Shapiro welcomed Dan Bongino to his Sunday Special episode of his Daily Wire program. While the conversation has more than 185,000 views on YouTube, the entire conversation isn’t on the platform.

“Unfortunately, we’ve had to edit out some important information because big tech won’t let us say that sort of thing,” Shapiro said as he introduced the conversation on YouTube. He then urged viewers to subscribe to DailyWire+ to ensure they received the entire conversation as intended.

The message did not accompany the podcast version of the discussion on Apple Podcasts.

Daily Wire has not been shy about its issues with YouTube in recent months. After announcing it planned to depart the platform to put its video projects exclusively on X, it reversed course and stayed on the Google-owned site. However, former host Candace Owens was suspended by the platform in September of last year. CEO Jeremy Boreing revealed last year that YouTube had lobbied 200 content violations on its hosts surrounding topics like the 2020 election and the COVID-19 vaccine.

Bongino had his own issues with YouTube in the past. Those problems led him to move his live video to Rumble, where he is now one of the platform’s largest shareholders.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Longtime LA Host Tom Leykis Retiring From Talk Show

“I wanted to go out on my terms when I wanted. So I did.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of Tom Leykis
(Photo: NewRockstars via YouTube)

Longtime Los Angeles talk radio host Tom Leykis is stepping away from his internet-based show, calling it a career.

The former KFI AM-640 host also spent time in L.A. on then KMPC 710 and also on the hot talk formatted KLSX during his long tenure in the City of Angels.

After departing KLSX in 2009, Leykis didn’t begin his podcast until 2012 but continued hosting his internet show until earlier this year. On May 15th, he decided that was it.

“A long time ago, I realized I did not want to be like some of the hosts I heard in the past — begging for callers, stretching for topics,” Leykis told the LA Daily News. “I wanted to go out on my terms when I wanted. So I did.”

The 67-year-old has not hosted a show since that date and told the Daily News he is content with his decision to ride off into the sunset.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Radio

Longtime WLS-AM 890 Weekend Host Paul Brian Dies

“He was a legend in the industry, and he helped a lot of other people along the way, including myself.”

Barrett News Media

Published

on

A photo of the WLS logo

Longtime WLS-AM 890 weekend host Paul Brian has died at the age of 73.

For more than 20 years, Brian hosted the automotive-focused Drive Chicago program on the Cumulus-owned news/talk outlet.

Brian died last week, according to a story from the Chicago Sun-Times.

In addition to his work at WLS, he also previously hosted a variety of programs at WGN Radio in Chicago. In recent years, he hosted a car-centric show on YouTube.

“One of his favorite lines was: ‘Always entertaining and sometimes actually informative,’” his YouTube co-host Lauren Fix told the Sun-Times. “He was a legend in the industry, and he helped a lot of other people along the way, including myself.”

Brian’s daughter joked that he had everyone’s phone number, stating he had 9,000 contacts in his cell phone at the time of his passing.

Subscribe To The BNM Rundown

The Top 8 News Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox every afternoon!

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement Will Cain
Advertisement

Upcoming Events

BNM Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.